Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee: unlock..alarm..battery cable..headlights…

Customer Question
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee -...
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - when remote doesn't operate door unlock and key is used and alarm starts - always before key in the ignition and start motor has silenced the alarm.
This time alarm would not stop, finally pulled battery cable.
The motor would not keep running while alarm was on - after several minutes noise stopped but headlights and emergency lights kept on untill battery disconnected.
Day later tried reconnecting battery and alarm sounded again. HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/27/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Pavlin Koev, Technician replied 8 years ago
Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, Technician

Hi, read this info, I hope that you can manage to disarm the theft system.

If this does not help you will need to call dealer. It is also possible that you have faulty door lock actuator and Theft module does not see vehicle has authorized entry.

2005 Jeep Truck Grand cherokee

Antitheft and Alarm Systems: Description and Operation

Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS)

The Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) is designed to provide perimeter protection against unauthorized vehicle use or tampering by

monitoring the vehicle doors, the liftgate, the liftgate flip-up glass, the ignition system and, only on vehicles built for sale in certain international

markets where it is required equipment, the hood. If unauthorized vehicle use or tampering is detected, the system responds by pulsing the horn and

flashing the exterior lamps. In many markets the VTSS also includes the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), which provides passive vehicle

protection by preventing the engine from operating unless a valid electronically encoded key is detected in the ignition lock cylinder.

The VTSS includes the following major components:

- Door Ajar Switch

- Driver Cylinder Lock Switch

- Hood Ajar Switch

- Liftgate Ajar Switch

- Liftgate Flip-Up Glass Ajar Switch

- Low Beam Headlamp Relay

- VTSS Indicator.

Certain functions and features of the VTSS rely upon resources shared with or controlled by other modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area

Network (CCN) data bus network. The other modules that may affect VTSS operation are:

- Cab Compartment Node (CCN)

- Driver Memory Mirror Module

- Passenger Memory Mirror Module

- Steering Control Module (SCM)

The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) is used on this model to control and integrate many of the functions and features included in the

Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS). In the VTSS, the EMIC/CCN receives inputs indicating the status of the door ajar switches, the liftgate ajar

switch and the ignition switch. The EMIC will process the information from all of these inputs, internally control the security indicator as

appropriate, and send electronic messages to the Front Control Module (FCM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The FCM

internally controls the output to the hazard warning lamps and sends a control output to energize or de-energize the horn relay as appropriate.

Following are paragraphs describing the operation of each of the VTSS features.

ENABLING

The EMIC must have the VTSS function electronically enabled in order for the VTSS to perform as designed. The logic in the EMIC keeps its

VTSS function dormant until it is enabled using a diagnostic scan tool. The VTSS function of the EMIC is enabled on vehicles equipped with the

VTSS option at the factory, but a service replacement EMIC must be VTSS-enabled by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the

appropriate diagnostic information.

ARMING

Passive arming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is exited with the key removed from the ignition switch, the headlamps are turned off, and the

doors are locked while they are open using the power lock switch. Active arming occurs when the "Lock" button on the Remote Keyless Entry

(RKE) transmitter is depressed to lock the vehicle. For active arming to occur, the doors must be closed and the ignition switch must be in the Off

position when the RKE transmitter "Lock" button is depressed. The power lock switch will not function if the key is in the ignition switch or the

headlamps are turned on with the driver side front door open.

Pre-arming of the VTSS is initiated when a door or the liftgate is open when the vehicle is locked using a power door lock switch or when the RKE

transmitter "Lock" button is depressed. Pre-arming will not occur if the key is in the ignition switch or the headlamps are turned on with the driver

side front door open. When the VTSS is pre-armed, the arming sequence is delayed until all of the doors and the liftgate have been closed. The

VTSS will remain in "Pre-Armed" mode for up to seventeen seconds after all doors and the liftgate have been closed.

Once the VTSS begins the passive or active arming sequence, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will flash rapidly for about seventeen

seconds. This indicates that VTSS arming is in progress. If the ignition switch is turned to the On position, a door or the liftgate is opened, a door

or the liftgate is unlocked by any means, or the RKE "Panic" button is depressed during the seventeen second arming process, the security

indicator will stop flashing and the arming process will abort. Once the seventeen second arming sequence is successfully completed, the security

indicator will flash at a slower rate, indicating that the VTSS is armed.

DISARMING

Disarming of the VTSS is only possible if the vehicle is equipped with the optional Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). On vehicles with

SKIS, turning the ignition switch to the On position using a valid SKIS key will passively disarm VTSS. Active disarming of the VTSS occurs

when the vehicle is unlocked by depressing the "Unlock" button of the RKE transmitter. Once the alarm has been activated, either disarming

method will also deactivate the alarm. Depressing the "Panic" button on the RKE transmitter will not disarm the VTSS.

POWER-UP MODE

When the armed VTSS senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm

system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the technician or

2005 Jeep Truck Grand Cherokee 2WD V8-4.7L VIN N Copyright © 2009, ALLDATA 10.10 Page 2

vehicle operator will have to actively or passively disarm the alarm system after the battery is reconnected. The power-up mode will also apply if

the battery goes dead while the system is armed, and battery jump-starting is attempted. The VTSS will be armed until the technician or vehicle

operator has actively or passively disarmed the alarm system. If the VTSS is in the disarmed mode prior to a battery disconnect or failure, it will

remain disarmed after the battery is reconnected or replaced, or if jump-starting is attempted.

TAMPER ALERT

The VTSS tamper alert feature will sound the horn three times upon disarming, if the alarm was triggered and has since timed-out (about eighteen

minutes) or if the battery has been disconnected and reconnected. This feature alerts the vehicle operator that the VTSS alarm was activated while

the vehicle was unattended.

Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, Technician
We appreciate your answer and after playing with system using the information we have had the vehicle taken to a garage - hopefully I will be able to let you know the problem when they finish.
Hi and thank you for considering to get back to me.