Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1993 jeep grand cherokee: 233,000 miles..much oil..started sputtering…

Customer Question
I bought a 1993 jeep...
I bought a 1993 jeep grand cherokee about 2 months ago. I had a mechanic check it out and he said that it was a good buy, even though it had 233,000 miles on it. Recently, i put to much oil in it and it started sputtering out on me. it shut down twice. i finally got it to a jiffy lube where they drained the oil and refilled it. ( the oil guy told me that i had to much oil and it could affect the plugs or something. Anyway, after leaving the oil change place, i drove the jeep for about 3 to 4 blocks before it start sputtering again. it sputtered out twice and then I just had it towed. I have not touched it since then. What could be the problem. I had no problem whatsoever until i put probably 2 cans to much of oil in it before they drained it. What is the likely problem. My jeep is a 1993 jeep grand cherokee laredo.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/27/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello!

Is the concern you are having is the engine running rough? Is that correct?

Actually, after it sputtered out, I had it towed because I did not want to create any other problems. When it sputtered out, the car had to cool down before it would start again, and then it would only go 3 or 4 blocks before it did the same thing.
When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

i thought the problem might have something to do with the oil being overfilled. the truck was running excellent until that situation. Is there any chance that the extra oil somehow got to the plugs or something.

A friend of mine and long time Jeep owner took a listen to the engine. It does start, so there is ignition, and it turns over, but it cuts off almost immediately, like there is a sensor that says something is wrong and stops the engine. Could the extra oil that was added and then drained be still be causing an issue? If the oil has been drained and then replaced to the correct level, what is next to do to keep with engine running and to verify nothing else is wrong with the engine?