Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Jeep: the starter so i change it out and still get the clicking noise…

Customer Question
when starting the jeep all...
when starting the jeep all it does is a clicking noise, thought it might the starter so i change it out and still get the clicking noise and still does not start????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/27/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic

Do you have a voltmeter you can use to do some checking with?

Also which model is this Jeep?

Do you have a voltmeter you can use to do some checking with? YES
Also which model is this Jeep?Grand Cherokee Laredo

Thanks,

Put the voltmeter on 0-20 volts DC.

Put the leads on the battery cable ends on the battery being sure not to touch the battery posts and tell me the voltage when someone is trying to start it. Let me know.

Let me sure I am understand the question with the battery cables connect to the battery place the leads on the the battery cable and have someone crank the jeep and read the voltage if the is the question then the answer is 11.71 volts

Thanks,

Now lets check the fuse shown below. Its located in the power distribution center under the hood. If the fuse is ok, swap the starter relay with the AC compressor relay and try it...let me know.

graphic

nothing still the same

Ok,

Have you tried to start it in neutral? If not try it, you might want to wiggle the shift lever around the neutral position and see what it does.

We are checking the neutral/park switch.

nothing . i am going to have a machanic look at it >it 102 degree here Texas and the sun just got right on top of me

Thanks any

Just in case you want to look at it later, i suspect its a fault in the neutral switch or ignition switch..

Click here for diagram

Go get cool!!!