Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Jeep: I make a turn left or right I get a bad grinding feeling / sound…

Hello , I have 06...
Hello , I have 06 Jeep GC 4.7 with the Quadra drive 2 and everytime I make a turn left or right I get a bad grinding feeling / sound from under the car. Its binding , so I switched out the T case fluid but with no joy. Help!
6/27/2010
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Can you explain more about the noise? Does it sound harsh and metallic?

Does it seem to come from the front or rear?

Id say metallic yes, but its really a low sound , Its mostly the vibration and shudder from under the car and not sure where exactly but I will say that its center of vehicle and forward and not aft. It started out just a slight shudder when Id back out of my drive way and now only a week later its gotten alot worse and happens when I make a turn forward or reverse.

What did you put in the differentials for fluid? Any additives?
Royal Purple 75-145 no additives, I believe that brand of gear oil already has the required additives. The Diffs looked good and fluid was good BUT the rear diff fluid was black in color. Not sure what that was about but I switched it out. *note T case fluid was really clean looking. Almost new looking. Ive owned the jeep for only 15K miles so Im wondering if the prior owner noticed something about to go out and tried to fix it themselves?

You definitely need a bottle of Mopar limited slip friction modifier in each differential. The binding and noise you are getting is coming from the limited slip clutches chattering as they are trying to break away going around corners. The limited slip friction modifier is needed for the clutches to be able to break away from each other when going around corners without chattering and damaging each other. This additive breaks down over time and the clutches will start to chatter around corners. The additive breakdown is one of the main reasons the differential fluid needs to be changed every 12,000 miles.

I would add at least one bottle of Mopar limited slip friction modifier to each differential, two bottles each woudln't hurt. After some driving the noise and chatter should then go away.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks Ill try that!

Good luck with it!