Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

overheating..it hits operating temp it boils out the radiator overflow…

my 1986 cj 7...
my 1986 cj 7 ran out the water after replacing my water pump, not sure why.. vehicle ran very hot. Replaced thermostat twice an now water pump but vehicle won't stop overheating. As soon as it hits operating temp it boils out the radiator overflow.
6/26/2010
CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech
What was the original reason you replaced the water pump?

it was sqeeling

So there was no overheating problem before you replaced the water pump right? It sounds like you got the wrong pump, there are two pumps that look the same and fit on your engine. The only difference is in the impeller, one pump is designed for clockwise rotation, and the other for counterclockwise rotation. This is a common error for inexperienced parts stores to make. Your engine is overheating because the water pump you have installed is not pumping enough, because the impeller is turning backwards.

got the right pump for v belt..

Does the pump actually show its direction of rotation on the housing? If not I still suspect you have the wrong pump, it is also common for the pumps to get misboxed, as they look nearly identical. I suggest trying a different brand pump from a different store.
CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech

I just got of the phone with the alley machanic who messed this up and sure enough he compared the original pump with the second one and we do have the wrong one.. good call

You can get paid...

it says add tip.. is this sum 23 plus tip or tip only
Adding a tip is optional, although certainly appreciated. The sum would be $23 plus any tip you add.

I was confused and put 3 dollars for a tip.. was going to pay you 25$ total.. what do I do

In that case you would have paid $26 total. I do not have the ability to change anything with regard to the financials. If you like I can forward your problem on to someone who may be able to credit you back $1.