Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2002 jeep liberty sport: running fine..i drove to work

Customer Question
i have a 2002 jeep...
i have a 2002 jeep liberty sport. was running fine yesterday when i drove to work. when i got off work and went to start the engine, nothing happened. i figured the battery was dead and had it jumped. i drove home and tried to keep it running for a while. i went and check again this morning, the car still won't start, but the interior lights are flickering and there's a clicking sound.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/26/2010
Jeep Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
so a jump start worked yesterday but not today?
I haven't tried jumping it yet today. But the flickering lights and clicking sound is new. Wondering if it might be more than just a dead battery.
sounds like a failed cell in the battery. i would have the battery tested to confirm. Likley a battery will solve your issue
Is the battery something I can change myself? If so, what kind of battery does the 2002 Liberty take?

any part store should carry one, different brands have differnt part numbers, but all stores will have a battery guide to pick out the correct one

REMOVAL

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Be certain that all electrical accessories are turned OFF.
  2. Loosen the battery negative cable terminal clamp pinch-bolt hex nut.

Fig.16 Remove Battery Cable Terminal Clamp - Typical

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable terminal clamp from the battery negative terminal post. If necessary use a battery terminal puller to remove the terminal clamp from the battery post (Fig. 16).
  2. Loosen the battery positive cable terminal clamp pinch-bolt hex nut.
  3. Disconnect the battery positive cable terminal clamp from the battery positive terminal post. If necessary, use a battery terminal puller to remove the terminal clamp from the battery post.
  4. Remove the battery holddowns from the battery. Refer to Battery Holddown for the proper battery holddown removal procedures. WARNING: WEAR A SUITABLE PAIR OF RUBBER GLOVES (NOT THE HOUSEHOLD TYPE) WHEN REMOVING A BATTERY BY HAND. SAFETY GLASSES SHOULD ALSO BE WORN. IF THE BATTERY IS CRACKED OR LEAKING, THE ELECTROLYTE CAN BURN THE SKIN AND EYES.
  5. Remove the battery and the battery thermal guard from the battery tray as a unit.
  6. Remove the battery thermal guard from the battery case. Refer to Thermal Guard for the proper battery thermal guard removal procedures.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean and inspect all of the battery system components. Refer to Battery System Cleaning for the proper cleaning procedures, and refer to Battery System Inspection for the proper inspection procedures.
  2. Reinstall the battery thermal guard onto the battery case. Refer to Thermal Guard for the proper battery thermal guard INSTALLATION procedures.

Fig.17 Battery Cables - Typical

1. Position the battery and the battery thermal guard onto the battery tray as a unit. Ensure that the battery positive and negative terminal posts are correctly positioned. The battery cable terminal clamps must reach the correct battery terminal post without stretching the cables (Fig. 17).
  2. Reinstall the battery holddowns onto the battery. Refer to Battery Holddown for the proper INSTALLATION procedure. CAUTION: Be certain that the battery cable terminal clamps are connected to the correct battery terminal posts. Reversed battery polarity may damage electrical components of the vehicle.
  3. Clean the battery cable terminal clamps and the battery terminal posts. Refer to Battery System Cleaning for cleaning procedure.
  4. Reconnect the battery positive cable terminal clamp to the battery positive terminal post. Tighten the terminal clamp pinch-bolt hex nut to 45 in. lbs .
  5. Reconnect the battery negative cable terminal clamp to the battery negative terminal post. Tighten the terminal clamp pinch-bolt hex nut to 45 in. lbs .
  6. Apply a thin coating of petroleum jelly or chassis grease to the exposed surfaces of the battery cable terminal clamps and the battery terminal posts.

eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Alright...looks like I will leave it to the experts for this one. Thanks so much for your help!
your welcome