Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

how to replace rear main seal

Customer Question
how to replace rear main seal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/26/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. You will need to remove the oil pan to replace the rear main seal on this engine. Here is the procedure from the service manual for you. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

REMOVAL OIL PAN

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil.
  4. Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the exhaust manifold.
  5. Disconnect the exhaust hanger at the catalytic converter and lower the pipe.
  6. Remove the starter motor. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/STARTING/STARTER MOTOR - REMOVAL).
  7. Remove the engine flywheel and transmission torque converter housing access cover.
  8. If equipped with an oil level sensor, disconnect the sensor.
  9. Position a jack stand directly under the engine vibration damper.
  10. Place a piece of wood (2 x 2) between the jack stand and the engine vibration damper.
  11. Remove the engine mount through bolts.
  12. Using the jack stand, raise the engine until adequate clearance is obtained to remove the oil pan.
  13. Remove transmission oil cooling lines (if equipped) and oxygen sensor wiring supports that are attached to the oil pan studs.
  14. Remove the oil pan bolts and studs. Carefully slide the oil pan and gasket to the rear. If equipped with an oil level sensor, take care not to damage the sensor.

REMOVAL REAR MAIN SEAL

The crankshaft rear main bearing oil seal consists of two half pieces of viton with a single lip that effectively seals the rear of the crankshaft. Replace the upper and lower seal halves as a unit to ensure leak-free operation.

1. Remove transmission inspection cover.
  2. Remove oil pan. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/LUBRICATION/OIL PAN - REMOVAL)
  3. Remove main bearing cap brace.
  4. Remove rear main bearing cap (No.7).
  5. Push upper seal out of the groove. Ensure that the crankshaft and seal groove are not damaged.
  6. Remove lower half of the seal from the bearing cap.

INSTALLATION REAR MAIN SEAL

1. Wipe the seal surface area of the crankshaft until it is clean.
  2. Apply a thin coat of engine oil.
  3. Coat lip of the seal with engine oil.
  4. Carefully position the upper seal into the groove in the cylinder block. The lip of the seal faces toward the front of the engine.
  5. Apply Mopar® Gasket Maker sealer on both sides of cylinder block as shown in (Location of Sealer). The dab of sealer should be 3 mm (0.125 in.) in diameter.
  6. Apply Mopar® Gasket Maker on the rear bearing cap(Location of Sealer). The bead should be 2.3 mm (0.09 in.) in diameter. DO NOT apply sealer to the lip of the seal.
  7. Position the lower seal into the bearing cap recess and seat it firmly. Be sure the seal is flush with the cylinder block pan rail.
  8. Coat the outer curved surface of the lower seal with soap and the lip of the seal with engine oil.
  9. Install the rear main bearing cap. DO NOT strike the cap more than twice for proper engagement.
  10. Tighten all main bearing bolts to 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.) torque.
  11. Install the main bearing cap brace. Tighten nuts to 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.).
  12. Install the oil pan gasket and oil pan (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/LUBRICATION/OIL PAN - INSTALLATION).
  13. Apply Mopar® Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant on cylinder block to rear main bearing cap corners and cylinder block to front cover joints (four places) (Oil Pan)