Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Cherokee: I discovered that my 01 jp.

Customer Question
I discovered that my 01...
I discovered that my 01 Jp. Gr. Cherokee was dead, nothing at the key. I cleaned the battery cables up, attached my jumper box to the battery and the cooling fan came on I knew that wasn't right. I replaced the cooling fan relay, the fan cycled a few times then quit, I hope the new relay is still ok. All Data says to check for open ground, do they mean broken wire or bad ground connection
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/26/2010
Jeep Mechanic: jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech replied 8 years ago
jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Jeep question.

Open ground does refer to broken, unhooked, or unplugged wire ( open connection)

Does the Jeep start now?

Jeep does start. I used my jump box because vehicle was dead. When i hooked up the jump box the cooling fan came on, odd the engine was stone cold and ing.key was off. I'm guessing the fan never shut off and drained the battery. When I shut the jeep off the fan stayed running and the engine wasn't hot. I since then replaced the fan relay with a new one, it cyled a few time and stopped.....what a way to start my vaction.The vechile is a 2001 4.0 Jp. Gr Cherokee with air

Did you replace the fan control module that is out under the right headlight?

I'm sorry , I meant the fan control module. The fan did cyle then stopped

Yes, with a new one it cycled a few times then stopped working I hope I didn't ruin the new on now
You will just have to run the A/C, or just let it warm to see if the fan comes on. ( I have a scanner at the dealership, that I can actuate the fan to test). but you can just wait and see.

After replacing the new fan control module fan did work! It cyled a few times when engine temp came up. and also fan worked when A/C was activated. It since then has stopped working and fan has not come back on .

If the fuses are all good, then you will have to replace the fan module again. I have seen aftermarket modules need replacing over and over again. I suggest only Mopar factory electronics.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
This individual talks in circles and takes to long to reply. You take him off your clientle list