Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I hate my alarm system.

I hate my alarm system.
6/25/2010
David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician

The alarm system with normally arm itself when you lock the doors. Here is the service manual description of the arming function:

ARMING

Passive arming of the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) occurs when the vehicle is exited with the key removed from the ignition switch, the headlamps are turned off, and the doors are locked using the power lock switch. The power lock switch will not function if the key is in the ignition switch or the headlamps are on with the driver side front door open. The VTSS will not arm if either front door or the liftgate are locked using the key in the lock cylinder or using the mechanical lock button.

Active arming of the VTSS occurs when the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is used to lock the vehicle, even if the doors and/or the liftgate are open when the RKE transmitter Lock button is depressed. However, the VTSS arming will not be complete until all of the doors and the liftgate are closed.

Following successful passive or active VTSS arming, the VTSS set lamp on the top of the instrument panel will flash rapidly for about fifteen seconds after the illuminated entry system times out. This indicates that VTSS arming is in progress. Once the fifteen second arming function is successfully completed, the set lamp will flash at a slower rate to indicate that the VTSS is armed.

Relist: Answer quality.
Copying pasting from the service manual is not worth $23. I expected a thoughtful, concerted response.

Then what is your problem. The system is DESIGNED to arm when you lock the vehicle!

What can I do to keep alarm from arming. If I lock with the key, why is the alarm still turning on?

Is the alarm system integral to the BCM in this model?

Does the grounding of the yellow/violet wire (VTSS disarm sense) lead to a drain on the battery?

Can the BCM be replaced with one that doesn't have the VTSS?

Please answer these above questions.

My problem is that I have an alarm system that randomly goes off, and I wish to prevent its arming.

The easiest and least expensive procedure would be to find out what is causing the system to believe there is a attempt to steal it.

You can get a new BCM and PCM and not enable the VTSS but there is no way to by-pass it once it is enabled.

Grounding the disarm sense permanently will not work because the system is looking for a momentary ground to toggle the system off.

Take a look at the hood switch as a possible source of the false activation. It is a common failure point. To diagnose it properly requires a dealership scan tool and a diagnostic procedure manual. It really isn't that difficult to repair once you have the proper info about what is going on.

David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Are all switches in the system (hood, door, lift gate, etc) just providing a ground to the module?

That is, is the switch closed and the ground made when the door, hood, gate is closed?

Thanks, David.

The hood switch would be open when the hood is closed. Now there may be a possibility that there is not a hood switch on the Jeep. Some years had them some didn't. So if no hood switch is present, then you are looking at all the other switches that send inputs to the BCM. i.e doors, liftgate, liftglass
Is that the rule?

Switches open when doors and gate closed?

If so, I could remove switches one by one to diagnose (should stay open if not present)?

Thanks for the followup.

Did you get your tip? How does this work? What cut does the service get of your $$?

That's correct, the switches in this case open when the doors are closed. So a switch that is making contact when closed is the culprit.