Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

96 jeep cherokee: 4x4 4.0..transmission flush today..mile..exhaust…

Customer Question
96 jeep cherokee 4x4 4.0...
96 jeep cherokee 4x4 4.0, unknown transmission model, 231 t-case.
i took it in for transmission flush today and a mile down the road, it started pouring smoke. not just residual oil on the exhaust, leaking fluid most likely from the fill tube from being overfilled. I dont want to take it back to these guys, what are my options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/25/2010
Jeep Mechanic: CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech replied 8 years ago
CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech
You have an AW4 transmission. The first thing you need to do is check the fluid level to confirm it is indeed overfull. If that is the case, there is a drain plug on the transmission pan you can remove to drain out some fluid, just be careful not to drain to much out, and be sure to do it with the engine cold.
Its a old county vehicle and the part I bought at Kragen was wrong. The shop said that it did not need a filter nor a gasket.
I am not sure what you are asking, however you are correct, you do not need a filter or gasket, as a typical service on your transmission involves only removing the plug, draining the fluid and refilling. The plug does have a gasket that should be replaced, but reusing the old gasket usually does not cause any problems. The filter should be changed every 100,000 miles, when you change the filter you will also need a pan gasket, and a new oring for the dipstick tube.
The shop performed a transmission flush by tapping into the cooler lines. They also removed the pan which I think had a gasket. They tried to find the parts from a local transmission parts place and they said it was dealer only. so when they put it back there was no gasket and no filter change. They charged me 160.00 for the service and I am obviously unhappy. I am asking what are my options in regards XXXXX XXXXX the jeep to another, competent mechanical to fix it and verify the poor quality repair. Also, what is the best way to get my money back and is the Better Business Bureau the best inexpensive legal option? I dont want to waste money on this with legal fees.
I would certainly take the Jeep to a Jeep dealer to have it looked over, and save any repair bills incurred. The easiest way to get your money back is to talk to the shop that performed the initial repair. Show them your bill from the dealership, most shops will refund your money, rather than go through the hassle of going to small claims court, which by the way is the only other cost effective solution, if you would rather not deal with the shop directly.
So why a dealership? Are there no other options?
You can take it anywhere you like, however a Jeep dealership is most likely to be familiar with the vehicle. Also documentation from a Jeep dealer is more compelling to the original shop manager, and also in court, should it come to that.