Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1997 Jeep cherokee sport: plugs wires, cap, rotor, new coil,air..stall…

1997 Jeep cherokee sport, Just had...
1997 Jeep cherokee sport,
Just had tune up done, plugs wires, cap, rotor, new coil,air cleaner.
still have rough idle after you run it 30 minutes or so, shut it off for 30 minutes or so then restart it.If driving it, acts like it will stall out and shuts off every once in a while.
Any ideas where to go from here ?
6/25/2010
b5demon
b5demon, Technician
how many miles on the jeep?

155,000 miles

oil changed evey 5k and trany filter changed 2x so far, just done in feb.

ok there are a few things that could be causing this first and easiest is there was an issue with the two center injectors getting too hot and actually causing a rough idle the fix for that was installing an insulating sleeve around those two injectors any jeep dealer can get the sleeves for you the next thing would be carbon build up on the valves no matter how much cleaner you run through it all the carbon never gets cleaned out the fix for that is to remove the cylinder head and disassemble it and clean the valve (valve job)

Is there a kit I could buy and do this myself ?

the sleeves are really cheap and any jeep dealer can get them for you will come in one piece just need to cut it into two pieces and then slip it around the injectors really easy repair

I'll give it a try.

What if I see no difference, then what would you recommend ?

then i would recommend have a valve job done
b5demon
b5demon, Technician
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
no problem always glad to help! Thank You!