Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1995 Grand Cherokee: two problems..My 4WD selector lever..cannot shift…

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Grand...
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee. I have two problems:

1. My 4WD selector lever seems broken, I cannot shift into 4WD Low. As a result, I have to leave it in 4WD All-Time. The lever seems loose when I attempt to pull it back into 4-Low, and when I do, it makes a loud buzzing sound and doesn't engage - like gears are buzzing up against each other. If I pull it all the way back, the lever can get "stuck", in which it can be very difficult to force back down to 4-All-Time position.

2. The Vehicle Information Center (VIC) display next to the shifter lever only works when the vehicle is cold. When the interior of the vehicle warms up to room temp or above the display goes dark. What's causing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/22/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Josh, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Josh, ASE Certified Technician

ok, the first issue, it sounds like you're trying to shift into 4wd low while you're in gear or in park, in order to shift in and out of low range you need to be in neutral, at that point it should shift in and out without making any buzzing noises.

Your second issue is fairly common, it's cause by a failing EVIC, about the only thing you can do with that is replace the display.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

I was shifting in the manner both you and the instruction manual describe, so the propblem was not a user issue but a mechanical failure. Playing with it broke it further however - once I put it in neutral and shifted to 4 Low, nothing. Then I shifted it back to 4 All-Time. Nothing. UH OH. Now I have a Jeep that wont move sitting in my garage. So this freaked me out enough to crawl under the Jeep and took at the linkage myself. Sure enough, the mechanical linkage of the 4WD shifter lever had somehow managed to become damaged by becoming partially broken off of the side of the Jeep's transfer case. So I I re-assembled the linkage by hand enough so the lever could work properly and it re-engaged the transmission's All-Time 4WD functionality. There is still a problem getting it into 4 Low, but at least the sudden emergency of having aJeep that couldn't put the torque to the pavement is over. And the most important part - I know exactly what to tell the dealership to fix when I take it in for the repair.

As for the console display - I know this series of Jeeps were electrical nightmares, but hot/cold issues causing on/off problems of instrumentation displays? I'm thinking some 12v plug of somet type has slowly backed itself off of a contact somewhere and needs to be plugged back in properly.