Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

jeep cherokee: weather is warm we have a lot

Customer Question
I have a jeep cherokee...
I have a jeep cherokee and when the weather is warm we have a lot of trouble getting it into gear . I push the break in as far as I can before I start the ignition but it just won't go into gear. I have to keep trying and trying!!!! Someone advised me to have someone push the car from behind while I was trying to get it into gear. Sometimes it works, but today it doesn't!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/22/2010
Jeep Mechanic: cartech, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
does it seem like the shifter is stuck is it a floor shift or column shift
It shifts on the floor.
does the release button on the shifter push in but the shifter just wont move

Yes the button pushes in but I can't change the gear shift from park into anything else many times! The Jeep is a 2006 Liberty. It seems like it does it most often on warm or hot days when it's been sitting in the sun or been sitting on a slant. Sometimes we can get it into gear if we get out and push from behind while we are trying to shift.