Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Overdrive..wont shift..OFF THE GASS PEDEL IT WOULD DOWN SHIFT..REVERSE…

Customer Question
i change my gov selenoids...
i change my gov selenoids and harrness with the overdrive and it wont shift but 1 and 2 ???? dan THE OVERDRIVE QUIT ABOUT A YEAR AGO IT WOULD WORK WHEN I LEFT IN THE MORNING AND SOON AS I LET OFF THE GASS PEDEL IT WOULD DOWN SHIFT AND WOULD NOT GO IN TO OVERDRIVE THE REST OF THE DAY BUT NOW IT WILL NOT JUST OUT OF THE BLUE IT WILL NOT SHIFT BUT 1 AND 2 AND REVERSE ,   DAN
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/21/2010
Jeep Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 years ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Chat Conversation Started
kalamykid :

The first thing I need to ask you is what trans do you have in your jeep? There are two transmissions that could have been in your jeep, the a500 and the a518 "42re and the 46re". The best way to ell the differance is to look on the pasanger side of the trans pan and see if there is a square corner to the front of the pan or is there a round "bubble" on the front corner?

Customer:

ITS A 42RE,

kalamykid :

Will it neutral out when it is time to go to 3rd?

Customer:

trans pan has a bubble on the right front

Customer:

do you have any ideas on what it could be , back 4 month ago it stuck in first gear and i put it to the floor and it findly shifted and worked great until now .. dan

kalamykid :

When it is time for the trans to shift to 3rd gear does it stay in 2nd or does the trans neutral out?

Customer:

if you let off the gas it seems like it goes in to neutraland when you give it gas it goes back to 2and will not try to go in two 3rd

kalamykid :

If the pan has a bubble on the right front of the pan then you do not have a 42re you have a 46re.

kalamykid :

Have you check the fluid level with the trans in neutral?