Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.
12104952

1991 jeep: cant find..fender..my coil go to the distributer

i cant find the ignition control module on my 1991 jeep wrangler...it isnt on the fender under the washer bottle......there arent any holes ther were one used to be .do i have one on this jeep since its feul injected? the only wires from my coil go to the distributer and into a main wire bundel and over to what i believe is the main brain box on the fire wall. please help
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mark :

There isn't a separate ignition module on your vehicle......all the ignition functions are controlled by the main brain.

Customer:

that is what i thought....do you have any idea what would cause the jeep to shut off while driving and have a strong odor of gas..and i have to wait a bit before it would crank up and drive again but it may go 10ft or 10mi. like something is getting hot....could it be th coil..or you think the computer?........also it seems like it blows off a vacume line that runs from the valve cover to the intake manifold.....what could that be?

Mark :

Have you checked to see if there are any fault codes?

Customer:

no checkengine light.........but i have replaced plugs wires cap......have to go exchange rotor but will replace tomorrow. and still the same.....after i drive awhile its like it heats up and dies....and judging by the smell it is not a feul issue but a spark issue....i guess

Customer:

could i have cods without the check engine light on?

Expert:  Mark replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Mark replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you can have codes without the light. Cycle the key on off on off on.....watch the check engine light and count the flashes for a 2 digit code number.....there will be more than one.

For example.....one flash.....pause.....2 flashes is a code 12.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will pay you twice with no problem so i dont want you to think im trying to scam.......second..my check engine light comes on and then goes off then it blinks 3 times so i believe its a 13?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i just drove then checked again..........the light comes on then off normally then 1flash,pause,2 pause4pause2pause3pause3pause1pause6pause5pause5flashes then no more.....that tell you anything?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
am sure of the codes now they are 12,42,33,15,and 55 iv looked up the codes and 42 seems to be the one that i worry about but would a relay work sometimes and not others?