Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2001 Grand Cherokee: my transmission is stuck in first gear…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2001...
Hi, I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, and I suspect that my transmission is stuck in first gear. Can anybody tell me how to resolve this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/19/2010
Jeep Mechanic: b5demon, Technician replied 8 years ago
b5demon
b5demon, Technician
try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to reset the transmission control and see if it shifts ok then
hi, no just tried that and that didn't work

does reverse work and was it acting up at all before this? is the check engine light on?

yes reverse works fine, and no this is the first time, I just took it to the shops and on the way back it just wouldn't go through the gears (its and auto by the way). As far as I can see there are no check engine lights ot error codes.
ok that is weird it should be turning on the check engine light if it is not shifting it could be a transmission controller issue but unfortunately it really need to be checked with a scan tool to see exactly what is causing it not to shift
ok appreciate your time
no problem sorry i couldn't be more help
Relist: Answer quality.
could not answer