Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1998 Cherokee: I replaced the lower radiator hose..needle..erratic…

Customer Question
1998 Cherokee, I replaced the...
1998 Cherokee, I replaced the lower radiator hose recently, since then temperature needle has been erratic. It will creep to 220 then shoot to 250 and after a minute or so fall immediately back to 220. Is the thermostat bad, or the sensor? or something else?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/17/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic

It could be that there is still some air in the system after replacing the hose.

Best way to bleed all the air is to do the following.

When engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and fill to about 1 inch from top.

Start the engine, cap off, and continue to fill it to about 1 inch from top. When the thermostat opens you can tell because the fluid will be hot to the touch. Top off the radiator and check the level in the reservoir. That will bleed the system of all air.

If it still does it, then i would replace the thermostat. If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

OK. When I took the cap off, the radiator level was within one inch, the reservoir was full, when I started it up the level slowly rose until it was running out of the radiator, so I guess it was full. I'm going to replace the thermostat.

It could be that it's trying to push the air out of the system. Go ahead and replace the thermostat, and fill the engine block with coolant when the stat is out. Then let it run while continually checking the fluid level. Keep in mind that it will push the coolant out as the air is being pushed to the top. Once the fluid is real hot to the touch and its full then put the cap on.

OK, one more question and I'll acept the answer. I took the cap off, radiator was full, started the jeep and fluid ran out, I let it run out and at one oint the level drop so I filled it back up. The fluid got real hot and it was full. How come when I step on the gas the level drops and then returns to the top when it returns to idle, and when I turn it off I can hear water running down somewhere, (presumably in the block) thanks

It sounds like you finally have all the air removed. It's normal for the level to drop a bit when the rpm is increased because the water pump is turning faster, recirculating faster.....not sure why it is making that noise except that some cars you can hear the system equalizing the pressure in the system when shut down. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure the coolant reservoir is at the proper level and you should be good to go!

Thanks for asking!