Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

light ,had foot on brake and the rpm shot to 6000 rpms came down somme…

Customer Question
Stop at light ,had foot...
Stop at light ,had foot on brake and the rpm shot to 6000 rpms came down somme and back to 6000 before it is off to 800
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/17/2010
Jeep Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

Does the rpm only jump up when applying the brake?

Customer:

yes

brownjeff :

Then most likely the brake booster is the problem. Try removing the line to the booster and plug it then hit the brake and see if the rpm changes. If it doesn't change then the booster needs replaced. Do not drive the vehicle with the line off and plugged as the brakes will not work well

Customer:

are there any other sensors [Rpm ?]

brownjeff :

There are many sensor, but if it only does it when hitting the brake then it would not be a sensor.

Are there any codes?

Customer:

no

brownjeff :

Did you try the test for the booster?

Customer:

no - Will try Friday or Saturday

brownjeff :

ok....If it only does it when hitting the brake then the booster is at fault, but the test will confirm it.

Customer:

The RPM change so its not the booster

Customer:

The RPM change so this is not the problem

brownjeff :

Then the next thing I would do is check for any vacuum leaks as to have a rpm that high is most likely has one. You can try either pinching off hoses one at a time and see if the rpm changes or try spraying carb cleaner to see if the rpm changes.

Customer:

My Jeep was Taken To Brown Jeep in Patchouge, NY

brownjeff :

ok......let me know what they find