Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2001 Jeep: fuel pump..guage..relay, and fuses(and added 5 gallons)

Customer Question
I just finished installing a...
I just finished installing a newer engine into my 2001 Jeep wrangler.It cranks fine and Everything seems to power up properly(guages etc.)except the fuel pump. I am getting no fuel or indication that the pump is working, as well as, no level at the guage..
I checked the conections, relay, and fuses(and added 5 gallons).
I also plugged a used pump assembly to the harness in which did not operated either. However it did show a level on the guage. I could move the guage by moving it's float.
I plan to trouble shoot it tomorrow but hope someone can give me some direction.
Thanks,
Tom
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/17/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, Tom if you have no power to the fuel pump then you need to check the fuel pump relay for the proper powers and grounds that make the relay operate and send power to the fuel pump, but first let me ask is there spark at the plugs?, does the engine turns on and then off when you turn the key to on with out cranking?, have you try spraying some choke cleaner through the throttle plate to compensate for fuel just to see if it will attempt to start? can you do this checks and get back to me so we can start with checking the relay?

Time has not allowed for much troubleshooting. Unfortunately, due to a work schedule change I will noty be able to return to it untill Monday evening.

All that i have done to this point is to switch a relay from a known good item ,as well as, plugged in a used fuel pump that i had loose. the only change was that the pump registerd a fuel level on the guage.

I will get back with you monday evening.

Thanks

Tom