Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2000 jeep cherokee laredo: window switches..door open..overhead panel…

Customer Question
2000 jeep cherokee larado 6cly...
2000 jeep cherokee larado 6cly Purchased jeep 1.5 years ago noticed that none of the power switches in the drivers door would work if door was open, with door closed everything worked fine. yesterday i went through a drive through and when i went to put window up it would not move all the window switches were dead. pulled off to the side and noticed that the driver door open light was on in the overhead panel so i opened and closed the door a few times with no success. then i wiggled the wire boot between the drivers door and the body closed the door and it worked window went half way up and stopped, repeated and got it up all the way. then i noticed the dome lights would not go off. I shut them off with the switch on the turn signal. drove home Ok. when I got home i pulled the wire gromet between the body and door back and found a broken wire ( 12 gauge black) the next day (today) I headed to work and now the AC would not kick in and over head temp not working fuses look good???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/17/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Roland, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is Roland

Did you check for other broken wires, usually there is 2 or more broken wires in different spot in the wire boot between the door and pillar.

I pulled on each wire going into the body from the door all seem secure and could not see any signs of other damage
Did you check for the fuse block under hood and inside vehicle?

I check all the fuses with a test light both under the dash and under the hood. non were labeled as power windows, I also switched the relays between the horn and a/c (used same #) to see if that made any difference for the a/c no difference, a/c still did not work and horn still blew.

Could you have your vehicle scanned for codes in the BCM (body control module), D/P DM, ( drivers and passenger door modules), OHC (overhead console), PCM (powertrain control module), and HVAC ( heater control head).

These code will help give you a proper answer.

I'm sure if I went to a dealer they could do that but I was trying to avoid the extra cost for a 10 year old car,
You can go to an auto parts store to have the codes checked they should do that for free.
OK I will see if I can get the info for you send me another request for information and i will reply when i get the goods thanks
I will be glad to wait for the information.