Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee: it, it shuts off and jerks a little…

Customer Question
We purchased a 1996 Jeep...
We purchased a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Sometimes while my daughter is driving it, it shuts off and jerks a little. What is the problem. My husband changed the fuel filter and it was doing okay for a day, now it has started again,.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/15/2010
Jeep Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

You are describing a failing cam sensor or crank sensor. More often than not it is the crank sensor that will cause the problem. If the vehicle starts back after stalling there is no way to test to find out for sure as it will test good. So you either wait until the vehicle wont start to diagnosis it or take a chance and replace the sensor

Customer:

Aprroximately, how much it will cost to replace the crank sensor?

brownjeff :

Around $125.00 to replace the sensor

Customer:

Approximately, how many people you know of have had this problem with Jeeps

brownjeff :

I have seen many of these and hate to guess at a number but it is a common problem........

Customer:

Once this is fixed, what other problems have you encountered from customers with Jeeps.

brownjeff :

Have seen many issues with power locks, power windows, and differentials

Customer:

Thanks alot.. You have have been very helpful! Have a wonderful day!

brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

Your welcome.......

Thanks,

JB