Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

93 Jeep Cherokee: check light..randomly..speedo..110km/h motor dies…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 93...
Hi I have a 93 Jeep Cherokee Ltd 4L. 3-4 months and all was good, check light would come on randomly since I brought it but put it down to speedo not working, had the speedo checked by reputable agent they found the transducer/sender didn't work, brought a second hand one put it in and no difference, took that one to them and they said it was fine so I left it at that.This is not my problem (letting you know everything in case it helps). Open road doing 110km/h motor dies just as if it was an electric motor and someone turn the switch off. Tried to restart for about 5 mins but would not fire turned the key off sat for 20 mins last effort turned the key on and away it went. Got 5km's down the road and it did it again, tried to restart for a few minutes but nothing, turned the key off and left it for another 15 mins then it started no problem. Since then it keeps doing it. Lots of parts replaced, scanner said so but no fix. There's more to the story so please ask for more
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/15/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Meister Tech, Jeep Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Meister Tech
Meister Tech, Jeep Master Technician
I have Factory Master Gold certification with Jeep

Next time this happens, disconnect the Throttle position sensor and see if you have the full 5 volts to the crank sensor. Another thing, the wiring harness connection going to the engine controller can be a cause as well. With engine running, start to put the wire loom and connectors going to the computer through some serious motion.

I also assume you have already tried a new ASD relay.

The ignition coil on these vehicles are suspect and can cause the instant die out as well.

Sebastian V.