Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1996 jeep grand cherokee: light switch..the battery fully charged it…

Customer Question
i have a 1996 jeep...
i have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee and there seems to be a problem with the internal light switch. with the battery fully charged it drains to flat overnight and I have been told it is a fault with the switch. is there anything I should look at before I change the switch (is the switch turned to far to the right for example) and if it is the switch, are they easy to replace yourself?

thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello there!

You are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw! Disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on! Here is a hint, a lot of times it is either the dome light, trunk light or the glove compartment light that stays on. If you do not want to go through the hassle of the test, pull the bulbs out and see if that helps.

Thanks for this. We are trying with all interior blubs removed over night and if that works does it mean it is the switch on the dash or a blub? If all blubs are removed and still a draw any ideas? I don't have a test light so would it be worth checking the glove box switch? I have checked the door triggers and they seem fine and can't see any evedent light on so would I be right in thinking the glovebox could be the problem and if so would simply removing the blub stop the draw?
Thanks
Hello!

If just a bulb is staying on overnight, then yes... you could just pull the bulb out and that should take care of it.

There are still several other possibilities. THats why we need to run this test. This test will pinpoint what circuit the draw is on. This will narrow the possibilities down.

ONce we have done this, I can pull you a wiring diagram and we can see everything on that circuit and start testing each component individually. By doing this, we will get to the bottom of the problem.

thanks and we have now had it tested and it is the switch on the dash. I have a replacement switch and I am intending to change it this weekend. I understand it is a time consuming process as you have to remove the whole dash but other than that do you have any tips?

That should then be me sorted - thanks

Are you talking about the interior light switch that turns on the dome lights and such?
Yes it is the switch on the dash to the rhside of the steering wheel (rh drive). I have a full panel coming inc switches so would pref just to change single switch rather than whole panel but will take advise. The switch in particular is the switch that slides vertically to control setting for all internal lights.
Thanks
I do not have any info for a right hand drive vehicle. I will leave this question open.