Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

fuel sending unit..plugs, cap rotor..air filter..power and stalls…

Customer Question
Yesterday, I replaced the fuel...
Yesterday, I replaced the fuel sending unit, hall effect, wires, plugs, cap rotor, cleaned throttle body, air filter, even wahsed the floor mats, but it still psutters under power and stalls at idle and it is becoming more frequent each day.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/13/2010
Jeep Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Have you checked the fuel pressure reading and if so what is it?
Not yet. But I thought the fuel pressure regulator was a part of the sending unit. I can check it and let you know though.

It sits on top yes, just wanted to make sure there is adequate pressure.

Does the vehicle have any codes?

Yes, secondary ign coil, misfire in 1 & 6, small evap leak, although I repaired that when I had the tank down.
Has a compression test been done to make sure mechanically the vehicle is good?
No further testing has been done. It has great driving power and prior issues to this and has always been a strong truck and we take care of it, mechanically. I can do a pressure test and compression test today. Is it advisable?
Yes lets start with those tests so we know where we are at. Other wise we are going to keep throwing parts at it.
No problem, I'll perform the tests and be back to you ASAP. Thanks, Howard.
ok

Hi, my husband Howard just went to Autozone rent the equipment to do the tests. This is Michele, and the Jeep is my car. I don't know if you can see my previous question that I asked another expert on Friday, but I just wanted to let you know the full description of what has been happening. From reading Howie's question, it doesn't provide the full picture.

About 10 days ago, the Jeep would act like it was running out of gas, but when I would push the gas petal, it would "clear out", and the car would be fine for the rest of my trip (usually no more than 30 miles one way). This happened once a day for about three days. It would first happen when I was accelerating from a stop, and the transmission was shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Over the course of the next few days, it became more frequent, and would do this 2-3 times in a 15 mile trip across town, but again, I would give it gas and it would be ok.

Then the severity increased, to the point where giving it gas would not work all of the time (only some of the time), and the car would kind-of linger in a sputter but not die right away, I'd pull over and stop then it would stall. It would also do this at idle in my driveway, coming to a stop, and accelerating.

Finally, starting Thursday of this week, it would do it seemingly under all conditions, including all gears and driving on the highway at 65 mph.

Each time, the car would start up again right away until the past 4-5 days when some of the time it became more difficult to get it to start, needing 2-3 cranks and gas to get it going. Sometimes it would restart ok. Sometimes, but not all, it would stall after starting during these times.

Basically, the problem seems to be intermittent, and happening under all driving conditions. It happens when RPM is low, at about 1500, or under load going up a hill; it happens when idling, and when driving.

I hope this helps. Howie should be back soon with the diagnostic test results. Hopefully the auto parts store has the equipment to do this.

Michele,

Thanks for the additional information. I have several ideas of what may be the problem but would rather do a few tests first and try and determine the cause rather than take a guess and have you spend money on parts you may not need.