Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2000 jeep: stalls when warmed up will restart after cools..cools down…

Customer Question
i have 2000 jeep chreeke...
i have 2000 jeep chreeke stalls when warmed up will restart after cools down wait the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Hello!

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is AMEDEE. I will be happy to help you out and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

When the problem is happening the first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back. If so, then one of the sensors is bad and will need to be replaced.
were are crank and cam sensors on 4.0?

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 6-cylinder engine is bolted to the top of the oil pump drive shaft assembly. The sensor and drive shaft assembly is located on the right side of the engine near the oil filter.

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is mounted to the transmission bellhousing at the left/rear side of the engine block.