Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2005 jeep cherokee: ac..cold air..the driver side..passenger side

My 2005 jeep cherokee ac...
My 2005 jeep cherokee ac shoots cold air on the driver side and hot on the passenger side. How can i fix this?
6/5/2010
jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Jeep question.

There is a blend door inside the HVAC unit, that breaks, and causes this. You need to remove the entire dash, and then remove the HVAC unit, and disassemble to get to the broken door.

This is a big job, and quite difficult; I can send you some removal procedures, if you want to tackle this yourself.( if you want the instructions, you need to tell me if you have duel zone climate control or not.)

when you say dual what do you mean? My ac only has one knob to control the foot and the direct, etc. on the front and has vents between the driver and passenger that are to blowing hot air. And yes I'm mechanicaly incline. I will do it my self
Duel zone, is for the Jeeps that have separate temp controls for driver and passenger.
no. i dont have dual zone. do you have instructions for me.Yes your are helping me. I will compensate for your time. Thanks

REMOVAL

1. Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL - WARNING)
  2. Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable.
  3. Remove the bolts (3) and remove the drivers side hush panel (2).

4. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the upper clips and rotate the cover down and release the lower hinges at the bottom and remove the opening cover.

WARNING: Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury.(refer to 8 - electrical/restraints/driver airbag - removal).

5. Remove the three bolts in the lower shroud (2).

NOTE: Use care not to break off the tangs on the shrouds.

6. Then unsnap the lower shroud (2) from the upper shroud (1).

7. Disconnect the steering column electrical connectors (3).

CAUTION: Do not turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees or damage to the clockspring may occur.

8. Position front wheels straight ahead.
  9. Remove the pinch bolt (2).
  10. Remove the column support bolts (1).

11. Remove the column cross bolt (1) and slide the column (2) downward off the bracket and remove the steering column.

12. Remove the nuts (1) attaching the instrument panel to the pedal support bracket.

13. Separate the door seal as necessary to access the side covers.
  14. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the left side cover.

15. Remove the left side door sill trim.

16. Remove the drivers side cowl trim panel.

17. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

18. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

19. Remove the bolts and disconnect the ground wires within the steering column opening to the left of the steering column.
  20. Disconnect the white adjustable pedal electrical connector.

21. Remove the bolts (2) and remove the left a-pillar trim. * Right side shown, left side similar.

22. Remove the two left side bolts and one screw at the a-pillar support. * Right side shown, left side similar.

23. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the shifter bezel ring.

24. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the shifter bezel.

25. Remove the center console back cover (2) and disconnect the electrical connector (3).

26. Remove the screws (2) and remove the console (1).

27. Disconnect the electrical connectors under the console.

28. Disconnect the stabilizer from the outer panel of the box compartment.
  29. Open the glove box and push the stop tabs down to drop the glove box out of the instrument panel.
  30. Rotate the box down and release the door hinges (2) at the bottom and remove the glove box.

31. Remove the passenger side hush panel.
  32. Remove the right side door sill trim.* Left side door sill trim shown, right side similar.

33. Remove the nut (1), separate the right cowl trim panel and remove.

34. Remove the right side end cap.* Left side end cap shown, right side similar.

35. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

36. Remove the bolts and remove the right a-pillar trim panel.

37. Remove the two right side bolts and one screw at the a-pillar support.

38. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the defroster grilles (2).
  39. Remove the two fenceline nuts (1).

40. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the radio bezel.
  41. Remove the screw inside the lower storage bin, if equipped.
  42. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the center bezel and disconnect the electrical connectors.
  43. Remove the nut from the HVAC support stud behind the center bezel.

44. Remove the screw to the HVAC from under the glove box opening.

45. Remove the HVAC bracket bolt from the glove box opening.

46. Remove the left and right center support brackets. * Left side shown, right side similar.

47. Remove the center floor duct (3).

48. Remove the radio.
  49. Remove the two HVAC bolts from the radio opening.
  50. Remove the instrument panel assembly.

HOUSING-HVAC ASSEMBLY

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - WARNING) and (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - CAUTION). Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

NOTE: The HVAC housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service of the air inlet housing, air distribution housing and the A/C evaporator.

NOTE: Take the proper precautions to protect the front face of the instrument panel from cosmetic damage while performing this procedure.

NOTE: LHD model shown in illustrations. RHD model similar.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - REFRIGERANT SYSTEM RECOVERY).
  3. Drain the engine cooling system (refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - COOLING SYSTEM DRAIN).
  4. Remove the front floor console (refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL).
  5. Remove the instrument panel (refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY - REMOVAL).
  6. Disengage the push-pin retainer (1) that secures the front console duct (2) to the gear selector (3).
  7. Disconnect the front console duct from the air distribution housing (4) and remove the console duct.
  8. Remove the screws (5) that secure the gear selector to the floor panel (6) and position the gear selector out of the way.

9. Disconnect the left rear floor duct (1) and the right rear floor duct (2) from the rear floor distribution duct (3).
  10. Disconnect the rear floor distribution duct from the air distribution housing (4) and remove the distribution duct.
  11. Disconnect the right front floor duct (5) and the left front floor duct (6) from the air distribution housing and remove the floor ducts.

12. Remove the nut (1) that secures the HVAC housing assembly (2) to the passenger side of the dash panel (3).

13. Disconnect the A/C liquid line and the A/C suction line from the A/C evaporator(refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/LINE-A/C LIQUID - REMOVAL).
  14. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  15. Remove the two bolts (1) that secure the HVAC housing assembly (2) to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (3).
  16. Lift the HVAC housing assembly upwards so that the condensate drain tube clears the floor panel and remove the HVAC housing assembly from the passenger compartment.
  17. If required, disassemble the HVAC housing assembly (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION/HOUSING-HVAC ASSEMBLY - DISASSEMBLY).

HOUSING-HVAC ASSEMBLY

NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service of the A/C evaporator.

1. Remove the HVAC housing assembly and place it on a workbench (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION /HOUSING-HVAC - HVAC HOUSING ASSEMBLY - REMOVAL).
  2. Remove the air distribution housing (3) from the HVAC housing (1) (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION/HOUSING-HVAC - AIR DISTRIBUTION HOUSING - REMOVAL).
  3. Remove the air inlet housing (2) from the HVAC housing (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION/HOUSING-HVAC - AIR INLET HOUSING - REMOVAL).

4. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness (1) from the evaporator temperature sensor (2) and the blower motor resistor or power module (4) (depending on application).
  5. Disconnect the wire harness for the blower motor (3) from the blower motor resistor or power module (depending on application).
  6. Disengage the two HVAC wire harness retainers from the HVAC housing (5) and remove the wire harness.
  7. Remove the blower motor (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION/MOTOR-BLOWER - REMOVAL).
  8. Remove the blower motor resistor or power module, depending on application (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/CONTROLS/RESISTOR-BLOWER MOTOR - REMOVAL) or (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/CONTROLS/MODULE-POWER-BLOWER MOTOR - REMOVAL).
  9. Remove the evaporator temperature sensor (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/CONTROLS/SENSOR-EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE - REMOVAL).

10. Remove the two bolts (1) that secure the A/C expansion valve (2) to the evaporator tube tapping block (3) located at the front of the HVAC housing (4).
  11. Remove the A/C expansion valve from the evaporator tube tapping block and remove and discard the O-ring seals.
  12. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened evaporator tube fittings and all expansion valve ports.

13. Carefully cut the foam seal (1) along the parting line (2) of the upper half of the HVAC housing (3) and the lower half of the HVAC housing (4). If the seal is deformed or damaged, it must be replaced.
  14. Remove the three metal retaining clips (5) that secure the two halves of the HVAC housing together.
  15. Remove the ten screws (6) that secure the two halves of the HVAC housing together.
  16. Disengage the two plastic retaining clips (7) and separate the two halves of the HVAC housing.

17. Open the rubber seal (1) and carefully lift the A/C evaporator (2) and insulator (3) out of the lower half of the HVAC housing (4).
  18. If required, remove the rubber seal from the lower half of the HVAC housing. If the seal is deformed or damaged, it must be replaced.
  19. If required, remove the insulator from the A/C evaporator. If the insulator is deformed or damaged, it must be replaced.
do i have to disconect the evaporator to fix the blen doors? I thought i could leave the freon and oil intactc.
That all has to be disconnected from under the hood, as the HVAC has to come out and disassembled to gt to the doors.Sorry, but there is no way to do this with it still hooked up.
jeepmopar76
Thank you for your time . You've been of great help.
Good luck!
jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76