Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

where is camshaft position sensor on a jeep grand cherokee

2000 4.7 liter...
where is camshaft position sensor on a jeep grand cherokee 2000 4.7 liter
5/15/2010
hauto
hauto, Technician
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on this engine is bolted to the top of the oil pump drive shaft assembly. The sensor and drive shaft assembly is located on the right side of the engine near the oil filter.

The rotational position of oil pump drive determines fuel synchronization only. It does not determine ignition timing.

NOTE: Do not attempt to rotate the oil pump drive to modify ignition timing.

Two different procedures are needed for removal and installation. The first procedure will detail removal and installation of the sensor only. The second procedure will detail removal and installation of the sensor and oil pump drive shaft assembly. The second procedure is to be used if the engine has been disassembled.

An internal oil seal is used in the drive shaft housing that prevents engine oil at the bottom of the sensor. The seal is not serviceable.

REMOVAL - SENSOR ONLY
  1. Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor.
  2. Remove 2 sensor mounting bolts.
  3. Remove sensor from oil pump drive.

graphic

that is not for a 4.7 liter engine 4.0 yes

Sorry about that, below is the info for the 4.7L engine. thanks for your patience

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on this engine is bolted to the front/top of the right cylinder head.

REMOVAL
It is easier to remove/install sensor from under vehicle.

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor.
  3. Remove sensor mounting bolt.
  4. Carefully pry sensor from cylinder head in a rocking action with two small screwdrivers.
  5. Check condition of sensor O-ring.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean out machined hole in cylinder head.
  2. Apply a small amount of engine oil to sensor O-ring.
  3. Install sensor into cylinder head with as light rocking action. Do not twist sensor into position as damage to O-ring may result. CAUTION: Before tightening sensor mounting bolt, be sure sensor is completely flush to cylinder head. If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.
  4. Install mounting bolt and tighten to 12 Nm (106 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Connect electrical connector to sensor.
  6. Lower vehicle.

graphic

hauto
hauto, Technician
nice work
thank you. good luck
hauto
hauto
hauto, Technician