Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

how do I remove the rear brake rotor on a 2005 jeep grand cherokee

V6...
how do I remove the rear brake rotor on a 2005 jeep grand cherokee V6
4/17/2010
b5demon
b5demon, Technician
it is just rusted fast they are a very tight fit on the hub and corrode fast quickly try spraying the hub with some penetrating oil on the hub and then use a hammer to try to break it loose by hitting the rotor in between the wheel studs if that doesn't work try prying it off with a long pry bar between the caliper mounting point and the rotor
it is not a hub that you can get a pry bar under. it is a flat disk with an edge. Resembles a bottle cap turned upside down. It is pressed flush into the center of the rotor. Is there a nut and bearings under this cap?
ok i have not seen one of those yet i'll opt out and see if anyone else has seen one of those
before you opt out, I appreciate your responses
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician

hello, i think i can offer you some assistance to get the rotor off there is an oring on the hub that holds the rotor on and prevents rust from building up as well, you need to remove that oring before the rotor can come off, below is a picture number 2 is pointing to the oring.

graphic

the O ring is off. Is there a nut that holds the rotor on, or is it just a pressure fit? If I didn't know anything at all about this how would you instruct me to take the rotor off? The help is greatly appreciated.

ok from the beginning we remove the wheel and tire(obvious) and then the caliper and set it aside, then once the oring is out of the way tap the face of the rotor with hammer to get it loose from the hub , if it feels loose on the hub and wont come off what is happening is the parking brake shoes are hung up on the rust lip that forms on the inside edge of the rotor that they ride in. we will need to back them off by removing the plug at the bottom of the backing plate and using a brake spoon or flat head screwdriver turn the adjuster wheel till they are backed off enough to get the rotor off. i usually try to turn the rotor every few turns of the adjuster to make sure im turning the adjuster the right way. if the rotor gets harder to turn that means im tightening up the parking brakes and need to turn the adjuster the opposite direction.

here is a picture of where the adjuster is.

graphic

the caliper has been removed. I'll tap on the rotor to see if it loosens up and then adjust the parking brake shoes if needed. If that doesn't work I'll email you back. You've given me the best advice so far. I'll get back to you shortly.
no problem, keep in mind that they can be rusted to the hub pretty good and take a good amount of persuasion to break them loose.
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
quickcar
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician