Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have electrical problems.

Customer Question
I have a 1996 Jeep...
I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have electrical problems. Some of my accessories work only intermittantly. The FM has to warm up to work (5 to 10 minutes) the panel showing doors open etc only comes on once in awhile. I haven't a clue/
camn you help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 7 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, i am going to try to help you on this problem, but i need you to be more specific on what is not working, and what is FM, is this the radio? or front module,

Thanks for responding.

The "FM" is the radio. It works only after warming up for about 10 minutes. It has to be on FM all that time to come on. The AM portion works fine. Also the rear windshield wiper doesn't respond but will come on intermittantly by itself..Als the seat position only works sporadically. The information center below the radio only works from time to time. I suppose it has to be electronic, but what? Also...I forgot to mention, the left speakers do not work. Could that be related to the amplifier? Are there any circuit boards that could be replaced?

Thanks

sorry i have computer problems i will opt out.
Jeep Mechanic: supertech, master tech replied 7 years ago
supertech
supertech, master tech

Hi my name is john.

On the rear wiper read this.

The rear wiper system on the Grand Cherokee operates through the liftgate and rear window ajar switches which act as lock outs to prevent the wiper from operating when the liftgate or rear flipper window is open. A situation can arise where the liftgate or rear window is ajar and the driver may not be aware of it. On Laredo models, not equipped with a Vehicle Information Center (VIC), if the dome light override feature in the cargo lamp is activated, the liftgate can be ajar with no operator warning. This situation can and has been reported as an inoperative or intermittent rear wiper operation. If complaints are received indicating rear wiper operation problems on these models, be sure to explain the operation of the system with the ajar switch and dome light override prior to attempting repairs

00802897.htm

NO: 08-28-97

SUBJECT: Liftgate Ajar Switch Terminal Corrosion

EFFECTIVE DATE: Sep. 8,1997

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO JUNE 18, 1997 (MDH 06-08-XX)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Water can enter the liftgate ajar switch causing corrosion to the terminals. This condition can lead to any of the symptoms listed below:

• Vehicle Information Center displays liftgate ajar
  • Rear Wiper inoperative
  • Security alarm will not set
  • Courtesy lamps stay on
  • Ignition off draw causing dead battery

DIAGNOSIS:

If customer complaints are received indicating any of the complaints listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Quantity Part No. Description
1 56005640 Switch - Liftgate Ajar
1 05011102AA

Connector Repair Package

1 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the liftgate ajar switch and repairing the harness connector.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the liftgate lower trim panel.
  3. Remove the liftgate latch and remove the ajar switch from the latch.
  4. 4Install the new switch, P/N 56005640.
  5. Stagger cut the liftgate ajar switch connector from the harness.
  6. Strip approximately 1 inch of insulation from the wires at the harness and repair package.
  7. Slide two pieces of heat shrink tubing over the wires on the connector package. Using rosin core solder, twist the wires together and solder the two wires making sure of a hot solder joint by heating the wire hot enough to melt the solder.
  8. Position the heat shrink tubing over the bare wire and apply heat to the tubing with a heat gun to fully shrink the tubing and seal the wires at both ends.
  9. Connect the harness to the switch.
  10. Install the liftgate trim panel.
  11. Connect the battery negative cable
081496.htm

SUBJECT: Intermittent Loss of Audio Output - Premium Cassette Radio

DATE: May 17, 1996

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 1996 GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED MODELS EQUIPPED WITH A PREMIUM CASSETTE RADIO, SALES CODE RBN, AND THE JEEP CUSTOM MEMORY SYSTEM.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience an intermittent condition in which there is no audio output when the ignition key is turned on. The condition is usually accompanied by a loud popping noise which occurs when the volume control knob is turned. The radio will return to normal operation after the volume control knob is turned.

DIAGNOSIS/REPAIR:

If customer complaints are received as described above, the radio will be required to be returned to the local Mitsubishi Radio Repair Center for exchange. Refer to the Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual for the repair center locations in your area. Make sure to clearly communicate the symptoms to the repair center. The symptoms should be stated as: "1996 ZJ Limited RBN radio with an intermittent no audio output condition due to interference between the radio and the Memory System Module". The replacement radio must be Part Number (NNN) NNN-NNNN

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves removing the radio and obtaining an upgrade exchange unit from the local Mitsubishi Radio Repair Center.

1. Contact the local Mitsubishi Radio Repair Center and make arrangements for an exchange radio.
  2. Record the preset radio stations.
  3. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  4. Remove the instrument panel bezel.
  5. Remove the original radio.
  6. Install the exchange radio.
  7. Install the Instrument panel bezel.
  8. Connect the battery negative cable.
  9. Set the radio stations and clock
080596.htm

NO: 08-05-96

SUBJECT: Radio Diagnosis

DATE: Feb. 16, 1996

DISCUSSION:

Some vehicles are equipped with remote radio switches. These switches or wiring (clock spring) can cause symptoms that in the past may have been internal radio problems. If radio symptoms occur that involve any of the remote radio switch functions, be sure to check the switches and clock spring prior to sending the radio out for repair. Remote radio switch diagnosis can be found on page 8F-5 in the 1996 Grand Cherokee Service Manual.

Some of the symptoms that could occur as a result of malfunctioning remote switches are:

• stations changing with no switch input
  • radio memory presets not working properly
  • volume changes with no switch input
  • switch buttons taking on other functions (volume switch changes stations)
  • CD player skips tracks
  • remote switch inoperative
On the seat do you have memory and heated seats?

What part does not work?

The heated seats work..

The seat heaters work. The other functions of the seat work properly. The things that don't work are: 1- memory seat

2- back window windshield wiper

3- information center below the radio.

all (3) of these things will start to work for no reason. Then they won't work for maybe a month.

The dash lights will work if I press anywhere on the guage panel or the light switch itself.

When the dash lights do work, they generally will stay on until I turn off the vehicle.

Thanks

I check and there is no connector or place where the wiring for these three things come together

Is there anything that would cause the dash lights, the seat position settings, the rear windshield wiper, or the information center to only work from time to time?

Is there a ground, a circuit board or anything you can think of. Its driving me nuts.

Thanks

I check them all a the only place where they all come together is the fuse box it self.

Two of them use the body control module
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman