Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

How to you replace the shocks on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jeep
2/24/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician replied 7 years ago
Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Front or rear?
Both front and rear

REMOVAL

1. Remove the nut, retainer and grommet from the upper stud in the engine compartment
  2. Remove the lower nuts and bolts from the axle bracket. Remove the shock absorber.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the lower retainer and grommet on the upper stud. Insert the shock absorber through the shock tower hole.
  2. Install the lower bolts and nuts. Tighten nuts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
  3. Install the upper grommet and retainer on the stud in the engine compartment. Install the nut and tighten to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.)
graphic

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Position a hydraulic jack under the axle to support it.
  2. Remove the upper nut and retainer from the frame rail stud
  3. Remove the lower nut and bolt from the axle bracket. Remove the shock absorber.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the shock absorber on the upper frame rail stud. Install the shock absorber on the axle bracket.
  2. Install the retainer and nut on the stud. Tighten the upper nut to 70 N·m (52 ft. lbs.)
  3. Install lower bolt and nut finger tight.
  4. Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
  5. Tighten the lower nut to 92 N·m (68 ft. lbs.)
graphic
Mark
Mark