Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

the heat on my 1998 jeep cherokee sport is not working, fan

Customer Question
runs fine, both heater core...
the heat on my 1998 jeep cherokee sport is not working, fan runs fine, both heater core lines are hot, just cold air
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/10/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 7 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Hello, I need to confirm that your HVAC control panel has 3 knobs? lmk thanks
yes there are three control knobs, fan spd. heat defrost a.c. select and temp. select
Thanks. The "blend door" or Temp control is via a cable. The "mode" knob is vacuum conrols. I suspect you either have a cable problem or cable came unhooked or blend door is not moving correctly.

graphicALLDATA Online - 1998 Jeep Truck Cherokee 4WD L6-4.0L VIN S - Service and Repair
REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Disconnect the temperature control cable housing flag retainer and cable end from the back of the heater-A/C control. See Heater-A/C Control for the procedures.
Temperature Control Cable Remove/Install

1. Locate the temperature control cable housing flag retainer receptacle on the bottom of the heater- A/C housing, near the passenger side of the floor panel transmission tunnel. Locate the flag retainer latch release window on the side of the receptacle. While depressing the flag retainer latch through the release window, use a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool to gently pry the cable housing flag retainer out of the receptacle.
  2. Remove the screw that secures the blend-air door lever to the blend-air door pivot shaft.
  3. Pull the blend-air door lever down from the heater-A/C housing to remove it from the blend-air door pivot shaft.
  4. Remove the blend-air door lever and temperature control cable from the heater-A/C housing and the instrument panel as a unit.
  5. Remove the push nut that secures the temperature control cable end to the pin on the blend-air door lever.
  6. Remove the temperature control cable from the blend-air door lever pin. INSTALLATION
  1. Install the blend-air door lever onto the blend-air door pivot shaft. Be certain that the tension spring on the bottom of the heater-A/C housing is properly positioned against the cam formation on the blend-air door lever.
  2. Install and tighten the screw that secures the blend-air door lever to the blend-air door pivot shaft. Tighten the mounting screw to 1 N.m (10 in lbs) .
  3. Install the temperature control cable end over the pin on the blend-air door lever and secure it with a push nut.
  4. Snap the temperature control cable housing flag retainer into the receptacle on the bottom of the heater-A/C housing.
  5. Connect the temperature control cable housing flag retainer and cable end to the back of the heater- A/C control and reinstall the heater-A/C control to the instrument panel. See Heater-A/C Control for the procedures.
  6. Connect the battery negative cable.

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech