Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

91 jeep wrangler: cracked exhaust manifold 2 days..idling..wont start

Customer Question
91 jeep wrangler 2.5. changed...
91 jeep wrangler 2.5. changed out a cracked exhaust manifold 2 days ago.ran great when done.yesterday while engine was idling it quit running like it was out of gas.not out of gas wont start now.engine cranks but wont fire.plugs wires ect new.filter new.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
11/15/2009
Jeep Mechanic: Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician replied 8 years ago
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I have a question, please reply in this thread.
1) Is there a spark from the ignition coil when you crank the engine?
having trouble finding accept
You will find an "accept" button when I post an answer.
I need more infromation to give you a correct answer, so please let me know if you get spark from any ignition wire.
Thanks.
i was yesterday. it was running fine
I do understand that everything was OK before the exhaust manifold replacing.
Now you Wrangler cranks but does not start and I have to know if it has a spark .
Could you answer my question please?
Is there a spark from the ignition coil or from any ignition cable?
Thanks.

Edited by Vladgmru on 11/15/2009 at 6:33 PM EST
yes
So,
Your starter cranks the engine, it gets fire to the spark plugs and you also get fuel to the injectors, but it does not run? Is it right?
Have you actually checked for spark while somebody cranks the engine?
just did
Sir,
I would like to give you a complete and correct answer, I don't want to mislead you.
I can't actually test your vehicle, so I can just rely on what you are saying.
I am asking you questions, but you are not giving me complete answers.
You do not need to harry up, please read my question carefully and give as much as possible information.
So,
this is right.fire at plugs fuel at injectors
If engine gets fire to plugs and fuel to injectors it has to start unless it has a mechanical problem ( compression or timing issue) and that seems very strange to me.
Since you was working with the exhaust manifold and the problem arose after this work, I can suppose you have somehow disturbed a crankshaft sensor wiring harness.
The crank sensor wiring harness could have touched the exhaust down pipe that is hot enough to melt the sensor wires.
What is strange here ( if this is the case), is that you have spark.
Anyway, please inspect the crank sensor wiring harness and connector, make sure it is not resting on the exhaust.
Please let me know about your findings and we will continue troubleshooting.
graphic
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Vladgmru
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician