Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO: SECURITY SYSTEM..LOCK AND UNLOCK

Customer Question
MY 1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE...
MY 1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO HAS A KEY CONTROLLED SECURITY SYSTEM (NOT A REMOTE)
IT IS NOT ALLOWING THE VEHICLE TO START
I HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO LOCK AND UNLOCK THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR 4 TIMES AND THEN TRY TO START IT
ALSO TO REMOVE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE 4 TIMES IN A ROW AND THEN TRY
NEITHER OF THESE THINGS ARE WORKING
THIS IS MY ONLY VEHICLE AND I HAVE BEEN WITHOUT IT FOR A WEEK NOW TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT
IS THERE A WAY TO BYPASS IT COMPLETELY SO I CAN USE MY VEHICLE AGAIN?
PLEASE HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
11/9/2009
Jeep Mechanic: Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. The next thing I would try is using the key in the passenger door and the liftgate. There are disarm switches on those lock cylinders also. Let me know if that helps.

I TRIED THAT JUST NOW AND IT DIDN'T FIX IT, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

OK, I was hoping that would help. You might have to get your vehicle towed to a shop. There might be a problem with the VTSS module. Another thing to try would be a jump-start...maybe the battery is weak.

I will opt out so another expert can help you.

THANK YOU
You are welcome.
The battery is new, so that is not the problem.All the lights and accessories come on when I turn on the switch.It just won't even try to start.
Perhaps this is not a security system issue. Please tell me what the vehicle does when you try to start it.
Hello, I just thought of another possibility...does the ignition switch feel odd/loose when you try to start it? I have seen quite a few instances where a part inside the column breaks and causes a no-start. Please get back to me when you can.
THE IGNITION SWITCH DOES NOT SEEM TO FEEL ANY DIFFERENT THANX AGAIN
Would you like more help? What happens when you turn the key? Usually when there is a security system problem, the lights flash, the horn might honk, or the engine starts, runs for 2 seconds, then stalls.
NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE HAPPENING AT ALL
THE ONLY TIME WE HAD ANY RESPONSE FROM THE VEHICLE WAS WHEN RE-ATTACHING THE BATTERY CABLE THE LIGHTS BLINKED ON AND OFF FOR A MINUTE OR SO

THE VEHICLE WAS RUNNING FINE, WENT TO PICK UP MY SON FROM SCHOOL, CAME HOME AND PARKED IT. REALIZED I NEEDED TO GO BACK OUT FOR BREAD A LITTLE WHILE LATER AND NOTHING.
tHE BATTERY IS FULL CHARGED, THERE IS HALF A TANK OF GAS IN IT

IT DID THIS TO US ONCE BEFORE A FEW YEARS AGO AND MY FRIEND WAS DATING A MECHANIC WHO CAME OVER AND FIXED IT I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE DID, AND HE IS NO LONGER AROUND

SORRY TO BE SUCH A PAIN, I JUST REALLY NEED TO GET IT RUNNING AND TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN.

You are not a pain. I want to help you. Of course, there are some linitations to what we can do over the internet. Do this please, if you can. Turn the key on and tell me what reading the 'volts' gauge shows.

then turn the key off and open the hood. Look for the black fuse box near the battery. Tke the lid off and see if you can locate and remove the starter relay (square, black plastic). It should be labeled.

MY DAD IS TRYING THIS FOR ME RIGHT NOW WILL LET YOU KNOW IN A SEC.
VOLTS READ 12
HE TOOK THE STARTER RELAY OUT
(THERE IS ONE BESIDE IT THAT SAYS AUTO SHUTDOWN IS THIS FOR THE STUPID SECURITY THINGY)
OK, look at the bottom of the starter relay, where the terminals are, and locate terminals 30 and 87. It should be labeled.
GOT IT IN MY HAND SEE THE NUMBERS
OK--the next part is very important---you need to have the key totally out of the vehicle---shifter in park---and the hand brake on---
GOT IT

Use a piece of wire, or a paper clip---connect 30 and 87 in the fuse box (where the starter relay was). The engine should crank over, but it will not start, since the key is out.

===Make sure the key is in your pocket====

===make sure you connect the correct terminals---use the relay as a guide----

===STAND NEXT TO THE JEEP, NOT IN FRONT OF IT===

DOING IT NOW
IT SPARKED A TINY BIT BUT DID NOT CRANK

OK, assuming you have the correct relay pulled out, and assuming that the correct terminals were connected with your jumper wire, there are a couple of possibilities. Either the battery is very weak, or the starter has failed. Ask your Dad to bang on the starter a few times with a hammer and try the jumper wire again. Be careful so no one gets hurt!

WILL DO
HE CHECKED THE BATTERY ALREADY AND IT IS FINE
IT WORKED, WELL AT LEAST IT CRANKED THIS TIME

If banging on the starter enabled the engine to crank over,then you need a new starter.

Please click accept when we are done, so I can get credit for my answers. Any bonus would be greatly appreciated! It has been a pleasure working with you. Thank you! If you need any more help, let me know.

Edited by Matt Hardy on 11/9/2009 at 9:07 PM EST
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician