Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

how do i change out a heater core on a 97 jeep cherokee sp

Customer Question
ort...
how do i change out a heater core on a 97 jeep cherokee sp ort
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
10/20/2009
Jeep Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, is the dash out? if not, where are you at.

There are many, many steps involved and alot of different directions so near impossible for me to send all of them.

LMk thanks

ive got most of the dash off. all that is left is the metal frame which i cant figure out how to get off. i also got the screws off the front of the heater core casing and can barely seperate the two parts

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX as much info as i can send without sending 100 pages,. there are the steps for the core, the HVAC case and the dash. the dash muct come all the way out, then the HVAC case must come out before you can access the core./

Heater Core Removal and Installation

Fig 63 Heater Core

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with air bags, refer to Air Bags And Seat Belts/air Bags before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental air bag deployment and possible personal injury .

1. Remove and disassemble the heater-A/C housing. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Housing Assembly HVAC, Service and Repair, See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
  2. Lift the heater core out of the lower half of the heater-A/C housing.
  3. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Be certain that the heater core foam insulator is reinstalled.

Heater-A/C Housing Removal and Installation

Fig 53 Heater-A/C Unit Connector

NOTE: The heater-A/C housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and the two halves of the housing separated for service access of the heater core, evaporator coil, blend-air door, and each of the various mode control doors.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
    2. Remove the instrument panel assembly. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair
    3. Unplug the heater-A/C unit wire harness connector, which is fastened to the heater-A/C housing next to the blower motor relay.
    4. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 6. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant Recovery
    5. Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the open refrigerant fittings.
    6. Drain the cooling system.
    7. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
    8. Unplug the heater-A/C system vacuum supply line from the tee fitting near the heater core tubes.
    9. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, remove and relocate the accumulator and its mounting bracket.

Fig 54 Heater-A/C Housing Replacement

1. Remove the five heater-A/C housing mounting nuts from the studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Remove or reposition the evaporation canister for access, if required.
    2. Pull the heater-A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
    3. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
    2. Install the five nuts to the mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the mounting nuts to 6.2 Nm (55 in. lbs.) .
    3. Reinstall the evaporation canister if it was repositioned during the removal procedure.
    4. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, reinstall the accumulator and its mounting bracket.
    5. Connect the heater-A/C system vacuum supply line to the tee fitting near the heater core tubes.
    6. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes.
    7. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, unplug or remove the tape from the refrigerant fittings, and connect the refrigerant lines to the evaporator tubes.
    8. Install the instrument panel assembly. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair
    9. Connect the battery negative cable.
    10. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
    11. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, evacuate and charge the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, See: Service and Repair
    12. Start the vehicle and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELTS/AIR BAGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
    2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
    3. Remove the left and right cowl side inner trim panels. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair
    4. Remove the steering column opening cover and the knee blocker as described. See: Knee Blocker Replacement
    5. Remove the instrument panel center bezel, the cluster bezel and the instrument panel top cover as described. See: Instrument Panel Center Bezel Replacement See: Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators\Instrument Cluster / Carrier\Service and Repair\Instrument Cluster Bezel Replacement See: Instrument Panel Top Cover Replacement
    6. Remove the center support bracket as described.
    7. Remove the steering column. See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair
    8. Remove the screws from the centers of the instrument panel-to-body and instrument panel-to-headlamp and dash wire harness connectors near the left cowl side inner panel and unplug the connectors.
    9. Remove the screw from the center of the instrument panel-to-floor wire harness connector near the floor pan transmission tunnel under the instrument panel and unplug the connector.
    10. Unplug the two wire harness connectors located near the instrument panel-to-floor wire harness connector at the floor pan transmission tunnel under the instrument panel.
    11. Roll down the glove box as described. See: Glove Compartment\Service and Repair
    12. Reach through the inboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening to unplug the vacuum harness connector between the heater - A/C control and the heater - A/C housing halves of the vacuum harness.
    13. Reach under the right end of the instrument panel to unplug the coaxial cable connector between the radio and antenna halves of the antenna coaxial cable. On Left-Hand Drive models only, also disengage the retainer on the radio half of the coaxial cable from the heater - A/C housing kick cover.
    14. Remove the temperature control cable and blend-air door crank arm from the heater - A/C housing as a unit.

Instrument Panel Assembly Remove/Install

1. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll down screws about 6 mm (0.25 inch) .
    2. Remove the four screws and two nuts that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel near the base of the windshield.
    3. With the aid of an assistant, lift the top of the instrument panel assembly off of the two dash panel studs. Then pull the lower instrument panel rearward to clear the cowl side roll down screws.
    4. Remove the instrument panel assembly from the vehicle.
    5. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting hardware as follows:
      • Instrument panel top to dash panel screws - 7 Nm (60 in lb)
      • Instrument panel top to dash panel nuts - 7 Nm (60 in lb)
      • Instrument panel cowl side roll down screws - 28 Nm (250 in lb)
      • Wire harness connector screws - 4 Nm (35 in lb) .

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
so just to clarify i do need to get under the hood and undo the bolts/screws that lay under the two peices of the heater core sticking out
The fasteners in throgh firewall will allow the case to come out through inside of the car,.The AC lines will need disconnected as well to do this. the whole HVAC case behind the dash must come out
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech