Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: oil pressure..Oil and coolant levels

Customer Question
My 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee...
My 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is running hot, and having fluctuating oil pressure. Oil and coolant levels are all within the "safe" range.

Had the AC serviced a couple months ago, and wonder if the problem might stem from that.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2009
Jeep Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

How hot does it get?

Does it happen driving in town or on the highway?

The temperature guage never gets outside of the first half of the guage (I can't remember what the readings are). But I've noticed a lot of heat coming off of the engine compartment when I have opened up the hood to check coolant level, etc. I suspect that this is why my "check engine" light has come on.
If not going over 1/2 way this is not causing the light to come on. Is there a parts store close by you can take the Jeep and have them run it on a scanner to get the code from the computer which will tell you why the light is on? A parts store will do this for free.
I can get it somewhere to have the reason for the engine light examined. I'm still concerned about the engine getting so hot. I'm wondering if the fluctuating oil pressure means I have a bad oil pump, or something along those lines. If I do have a bad oil, pump, could this be the reason for the engine running hot?

If the gauge doesn't get past the half way point it is not getting hot. As far as the oil tell me more about it.

For example does it read low at idle and then go up as you speed up?

Does the temperature of the engine effect the pressure?

When driving or accelerating, the gague will hang between 40-60, usually hovering steady somewhere close to 50.

When idling, the gague fluctuates between 20-35 or so, usually hovering around 30.

There does not seem to be a difference in the pressure fluctuations based on initial startup vs. the engine getting warm. When the engine gets warm, especially during highway driving, this is when my check engine light comes on.

The pressure are in line with where they should be but it should not fluctuate at a constant speed. I suspect a bad sending unit. To know for sure you would need to attach an external gauge and see if you get a different reading.
I had a feeling that the sending unit might be dying on me based on what I read in a couple of Jeep forums. Do you have any idea what it might cost me to get the issue looked into at a dealership or mechanic? Any ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated.
It will probably cost around $50.00 to $100.00 to get the vehicle checked out and as for the repair if the sender needs replaced around $110.00 to replace it.
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Couple hundred bucks to keep my Jeep running is not bad. Thanks for your assistance.

No worries....

Good Luck,

JB

brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician