Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: 4x4..interior..the fuse box..air bag

Hi, I have a...
Hi, I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with 4.7L. When interior temperature gets hot after sitting in the sun, the fuse box starts clicking without key in ignition or any other electrical service occurring. The clicking continues until the car is started, but warning beeps are erratic and the air bag service light comes on and stays on. I had the air bag warning light served once and they replaced a fuse, but it has happened again. The clicking seems to be inside the fuse box and stops when the main power feed is removed from the fuse box, but resumes when power feed is reattached. If I open the windows and park in the shade, the clicking stops.

Thanks for any help!
7/9/2009
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX to get to the fuse box where the clicking is, and find thr relay that is clicking, or just remove them one at a time and when the clicking stopws, that is the circuit,Ley me know which relay it is.Tim
Hi Tim,

The condition is not occurring right now, as it is only about 60 degrees outside and the interior is not hot enough. It needs to be around 80 degrees outside and the vehicle sitting in the sun to start the clicking. The fuse box is situated under the dash and the fuses are readily available, but the relays are enclosed within the box and it is not possible to access the relays without disassembly of the fuse box enclosure.

Would you be familiar with what relays exist in the enclosed box and maybe I can narrow it down by the affect that it has on the electrical system when it is clicking? As mentioned, the audible beeps are affected by the clicking, such as having the key in the ignition with the door open. The beeps are not continuous and seem to be interupted by the clicking.

Thanks!
Here is a diagram of the relay box and how to acces the relays,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
  1. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.

Combination Flasher

1. Remove the combination flasher from the Junction Block (JB) .
Thanks Tim,

I am going to wait till later in the afternoon and leave the car sitting in the sun to wait to da anything on this. I want the clicking to occur while doing this.
yes, thats what you have to do, come back to this question and I can help you diagnos it.Tim
OK!
let me know.
Hi Tim,

Did't get hot enough today to ceate the condition. I will try again tomorrow. BTW, do you have a diagram depicting the names of the other relays in the panel? I might be able to figure it out by the effects that it has, such as burning out the fuse for the air bags. I know it is much later for you, so I do not expect a response until tomorrow.

Thanks!
graphic
Tim,

Thanks for the diagram. The flasher relay is $55.00 at Napa Autoparts so I am going to wait until it is hot enough and the clicking starts up again to verify if it is for sure the combination flasher.
I'm not suggeting its the t/s flasher, that is just the diagram that i had.It could be any of them in there,Verify first.Tim
OK
,
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH