Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 93 jeep grand cherokee is having fuel delivery problems.

Customer Question
i have replaced the fuel...
my 93 jeep grand cherokee is having fuel delivery problems. i have replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. as well as the auto shutdown relay. i can turn the key and it will crank but the fuel pump will not get power. then a period of time will pass (this is sporatic) then the fuel pump and auto shutdown relays will cycle and the fuel pump will activate. any ideas??
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Jeep
4/20/2009
Jeep Mechanic: David Dill, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
I would look at the wiring to the pump as a possible source of your concern. It may be possible to have a corroded wire that is causing a low current condition. Isolate the wiring from the relay to the pump and supply voltage to the power wire, use a light bulb as a load on the circuit and see if it lights properly. Do this the the ground wire as well. If both seem to light properly then there is something else going on. Can you verify that you are not getting power to the pump when you turn the key on? You will only get 3 seconds of power initially.
David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician

This is not the case that I can find. The relays are getting power to them it seems to be a security system interfierence. the security light will light up and it can be 2 seconds or 3 hours before it will work

your engine will crank ok, start for a few seconds and then shut down?
no n ow it will crank but I have no spark and no fuel
Is this the same condition for which you changed the fuel pump and the 2 relays?
David Dill
David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician