Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Jeep Liberty: diesel..ESP, skid and ABS lites come on frequently

Customer Question
Good Morning..2006 Jeep Liberty diesel,,ESP...
Good Morning..2006 Jeep Liberty diesel,,ESP, skid and ABS lites come on frequently. The Jeep dealer said this morning they have 12 stored codes, all over the place but none active.
Might there be a common element?
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
4/8/2009
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Hard to say really. I'd need to know what codes were stored. Is there a way you can get all of the codes from them and list them here?

Good Morning..funny thing happened on the way to the dealer as the 3 lites reset themselves! Since there was not a active code, the dealer could not find or fix.
Here are the stored codes they found and noted..
Abs code c1020 lr spd sensor, c 2100 Battery volts low, c102b rr spd sensor, c 1032 rr spd sensor erratic, c1035 rr spd sensor cpmarative, SAS code c 2102 low voltage, PCM code P0615 starter relasy circuit short, P 2120 unknown, p 2125 pedal position sensor plausible, p 0585 s/c mo sw 1/2 plausible, p0299 turbounder boost p0589 input sensor 2 circuit plausible (no active codes)..the under boost makes sense as last week I had to pull over for no power, restarted the jeep and it worked fine.
Now when cleaning out the jeep yesterday, the driver side matt was wet, so I pickup up the carpet and water was sitting on top of the jeep floor, covering the wiring...I have no idea where the leak is, but last week we did have some heavy rain..
Also last month, the dealer did resolder a loose ABS wire on the rear right wheel. Other than the 3 lites and the 1 known underboost, the jeep runs fine.
I know electricity does not like water and sensors do not like under voltage! So, hope this all helps!
Thanks for the help!
Gregg

Wow, you do have alot going on there don't you?

All the abs codes are probably all related. You might have an abs module that's failing, or is losing a power or ground feed. The key is getting it to act up and diagnose it while it's happening, or spend a few hours going over all of the wiring on the Jeep.

The turbo underboost code is pretty common. I've seen it set when there is no problem, and sometimes when there is a lack of power. I would start by making sure the software in the engine controller is up to date and go from there. I've seen some EGR tubes plugged up causing this, but it's normally accompanied by an EGR flow failure code also.

The water leak can be about anything. Water leaks are a pain to diagnose. The most likely would be a sunroof drain tube problem. Do you have a sunroof?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Yes I have a sunroof, there are no signs of water tracks..and no moisture on the right side,,only the left. Will look for a drain tube.
Is there not a self test or failure code for the abs module? I am guessing finding a bad ground is like a needle in the haystack!
Thanks! Gregg
Yes I have a sunroof, there are no signs of water tracks..and no moisture on the right side,,only the left. Will look for a drain tube. Is there not a self test or failure code for the abs module? I am guessing finding a bad ground is like a needle in the haystack! Thanks! Gregg

The drain tubes run from each corner of the sunroof. You'll have to pull the front of the headliner down to get to them. Pull the left one off the sunroof and blow through it to make sure it's clear and you don't hear any whistles indicating a tube that is cracked and leaking water.

There are a couple internal failure codes for the abs module, but they are memory codes. The module will write to it's RAM and recheck what it wrote, and if something isn't right it will set a failure code. Other than that they don't really give you much. When you have as many problems with the system as you are having it points to a possible internal problem or a lost power or ground feed. And yes, finding an intermittent lost power or ground feed is NOT fun!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician