Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1993 Jeep wrangler: clutch..cylinder..the bleed line going..tranny

I have a 1993 Jeep...
I have a 1993 Jeep wrangler with clutch problems. Replacing the clutch shouldn't be a problem, however my haynes book shows the four cylinder transmission as having the input line come in one side and the bleed line going out the other, and my transmission has them coming out going in and coming out from the same insulator. So I thought maybe I had a six tranny but that shows in the book a bolted on insulator and mine is just pressed in. Any suggestions to figure out what parts I need would be greatly appreciated.
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2009
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, Jim here.

Here are the pic's for 4 and 6 cylinder on the trans. First pic is 4 cyl. Second is 6 cyl . graphic The one you are describing is for a 4.0 ... I would match up all you old parts to be sure you only do this once... graphic

Hope this helps. Thanks, Jim

Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician

Thanks Jim,

That's what I needed to know. I'm not sure how this just answer thing works exactly I hope you get paid it just showed I got a credit for my deposit to pay pal and i don't understand that if you have any problems let me know I did intend to pay you the 9 dollars for your help. Thanks again.

Yeah you paid me.. Thanks a bunch.. JIM
Yeah Igot the confirmation e mail after I sent the reply, guess I just got a little excited sorry I lost my head lol thanks again. If it's not a big deal could you tell me which clutch I would put (2.5 clutch with 4.0 slave or just an entire 4.0 setup) this would help clear up a little confusion I had in hind sight.
I would go with the 4.0 set up... besure to match up to old.. RE: cover and disc.. Have a good weekend.. Jim :)
Thanks again Jim. I'm about to start the job now should be interesting.
Take your time, and be careful .... You should have someone there to help you when you remove the trans and re-install it. Be sure you get a clutch disc tool, most the time comes with the kit. Jim
Thanks for the tip. I got the the tranny out yesterday by myself but I think I will definately call a buddy to help me get it back in now I just have to wait for the parts to come in. I'm purchasing a four cylinder flywheel and a six cylinder clutch kit does that sound right to you?
That should do it. First I would measure the size across the flywheel make sure it is the same.. Also compare the teeth.. Jim
Ok thanks this has been an unbeliveable help.

the 4 cyl flywheel is not the same as the 6 so heads up.. jim

Hey Jim just thought I would give you an update on my clutch project. After all the bullshit screwing around replacing my complete clutch pack I discovered what? Oh yeah the master cylinder was bad! Hindsight beiong 20/20 I guess I should have asked "Hey what could be wrong with my clutch?". Oh well all the parts are now new (the clutch disk was kinda fried) from the flywheel to the master cylinder and the jeep is back on the road. Thanks again for answering my questions even though I was asking the wrong ones.
Well kinda fried is no good. Yeah I know I been there. I guess I should have asked you the symptoms. Glad you are done.. feels good .. you did it yourself! Glad to be of service.. Jim
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician