Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

95 grand cherokee laredo: the windshield wipers..relay..somewhere

Customer Question
95 grand cherokee laredo the...
95 grand cherokee laredo the windshield wipers just stopped working a year ago I changed the fuse and relay still nothing then a day later it works again and has since until today was working and just stopped the fuse and relay seem fine is there another realy somewhere else? I was told there might be something down near the pedals any ideas? Both times it was snowing out cold if that helps
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/28/2009
Jeep Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The part that is near the pedals would be the intermintent wiper control module. However, here is a way to check the wiper motor and switch and the module.

graphic

graphic

1. Remove circuit breaker from fuse block and turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON.
    1. Measure voltage at the battery side of the circuit breaker cavity. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair wiring from ignition switch.
    2. Measure resistance across circuit breaker terminals. Meter should read zero ohms. If not, replace failed circuit breaker.
  1. Unplug wiring harness connector (multi-function switch side) from intermittent wiper module and turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON.
    1. Measure voltage at unplugged connector terminal D, Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair wiring back to circuit breaker through multi-function switch connector cavity 4. Refer to Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis for additional service information.
    2. Turn wiper switch to LOW. Measure voltage at unplugged connector terminal E. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair wiring from wiper switch and/or refer to Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis.
    3. Turn wiper switch to HIGH. Measure voltage at unplugged connector terminal C. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair wiring from wiper switch and/or refer to Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis.
  1. With ignition switch OFF and wiring harness connector (multi-function switch side) still unplugged.
    1. Measure resistance between unplugged connector terminals A and G while rotating wiper switch from minimum to maximum DELAY Meter should read from zero to 300K ohms. If not, repair wiring from wiper switch and/or refer to Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis.
    2. Measure resistance between unplugged connector terminals D and G while rotating wiper switch from minimum to maximum DELAY. Meter should read from zero to 300K ohms. If not, repair wiring from wiper switch and/or refer to Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis.
  1. Unplug wiring harness connector (wiper motor side) from intermittent wiper module. Turn wiper switch to LOW or HIGH, then plug both unplugged harness connectors to each other. Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON. CAUTION: DO NOT move the wiper switch to DELAY with the intermittent wiper module removed from the circuit. If the switch is moved to the DELAY position during the next step, the switch will be damaged.
    1. Test wiper operation in LOW and HIGH speed modes, and test washer operation. If these modes were inoperative, but are OK now, replace failed intermittent wiper module. If not, reinstall intermittent wiper module and go to next step. CAUTION: When replacing intermittent wiper module, be certain to use the correct replacement module. If an incorrect substitution is used, the wiper delay will be incorrect.
  1. Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON, and turn wiper switch to LOW or HIGH. Measure voltage at either intermittent wiper module connector terminal F and move wiper switch to OFF. Meter should show battery voltage until wipers park, and then zero volts. If OK, go to step 6. If not, check wiring to wiper motor and perform Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis, then go to step 6.
  2. To test the wiper motor, turn the ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON. Position the wiper switch and probe the motor connector as indicated in the following steps.
    1. Wiper switch in OFF position, measure resistance between terminal 4 and a good ground. Meter should read zero ohms. If not, repair wiring to ground.
    2. Wiper switch in any position, measure voltage at terminal 1. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair wiring to intermittent wiper module.
    3. Wiper switch in LOW, measure voltage at terminal 5. Meter should read battery voltage. If OK, but if wipers do not operate, replace failed wiper motor. If not, repair wiring to intermittent wiper module.
    4. Wiper switch in HIGH, measure voltage at terminal 6. Meter should read battery voltage. If OK, but wipers do not operate, replace failed wiper motor. If not, repair wiring to intermittent wiper module.
    5. Wiper switch in LOW or HIGH, voltmeter connected to terminal 2. Turn wiper switch to OFF and observe meter. Meter should read battery voltage when switch goes to OFF, then zero volts after wipers park. If battery voltage present, but wipers fail to park, replace failed wiper motor. If no battery voltage present, repair wiring to intermittent wiper module.
What are terminals A thru E?

The connector images are showing the wires in a number order. Let me give you the images or the connectors and a diagram that you can use as a wire color reference.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
I spent a good hour looking for the module and couldn't find itThats the bad news the good news is they started to work again but i still need to figure this out

It sounds like it may just be the wiper motor. When they stop you can try tapping on it with a small hammer to see if they will start to go, that would mean that the motor is definatly bad.

It does have intermitent wipers doesn't it?

the washer pump stopped working too now thats back, I didn't try tapping it
the washer pump stopped working too now thats back, I didn't try tapping it, yes it does have int wipers

The only place that the data base is showing for a 95 GC Laredo, (left hand drive) for the wiper module is on the left kick panel like in the picture. However, this would be a good time to check the washer system, being that it is not working.

1. With ignition switch in OFF position, unplug front washer pump wiring connector.
    1. Measure resistance from terminal A of front pump connector to a good ground. Meter should read zero ohms. If not, repair wiring to ground.
    1. Measure voltage at battery side of circuit breaker cavity Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair wiring from ignition switch.
    2. Measure resistance across circuit breaker terminals. Meter should read zero ohms. If OK, reinstall circuit breaker. If not, replace failed circuit breaker.
  1. Unplug wiring harness connector (multi-function switch side) from intermittent wiper module, and turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON.
    1. Measure voltage at unplugged connector terminal B while washer switch is depressed. Meter should read battery voltage If OK, reinstall connector. If not, repair wiring back to circuit breaker and/or refer to Multi-Function Switch Diagnosis.
  1. Unplug wiring harness connector (washer pump side) from intermittent wiper module, and turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY or ON.
    1. Measure voltage at unplugged connector terminal B while washer switch is depressed. Meter should read battery voltage. If OK, reinstall connector. If not, replace failed intermittent wiper module. CAUTION: When replacing intermittent wiper module, be certain to use the correct replacement module. If an incorrect substitution is used, the wiper delay will be incorrect.
  1. With ignition switch in ACCESSORY or ON, unplug connector at front washer pump.
    1. Measure voltage at washer pump connector terminal A while washer switch is depressed. Meter should read battery voltage. If OK, replace failed front washer pump. If not, repair wiring from intermittent wiper module.

thats just the problem though both the wipers and the washer stopped working at the same time now two days later they both started working at the same time
thats just the problem though both the wipers and the washer stopped working at the same time now two days later they both started working at the same time. themfr date is 9/95 so I assume its a 95

That's why the module is not there. Anything after August is the following year. Let me see if the diagrams are different but here is where the wiper intrmitent relay should be in the PDC under the hood.

graphic

ok sorry for the confusion I did already replace the relay under the hood that the diagram points out but thaat didn't make a difference

So that would leave the motor or the switch. They don't have any tests for the wiper motor in the data base, however here is a test for the switch. You want to make sure all the connections are good also.

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic