Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 99 jeep grand cherokee 4wd 4.

Customer Question
0 liter i didnt set...
i have a 99 jeep grand cherokee 4wd 4. 0 liter i didnt set cam sensor before removing i removed the whole sensor and the whole thing with the shaft how can i get it back in time
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Jeep
12/10/2008
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 9 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. Here is the procedure for you from the factory service manual.

Hope this answers your question, and if so would you kindly click on the accept button? If you need more help with this let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor Camshaft Position Sensor

REMOVAL

Distributor removal is not necessary to remove camshaft position sensor.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Remove distributor cap from distributor (two screws)
  3. Disconnect camshaft position sensor wiring harness from main engine wiring harness
  4. Remove distributor rotor from distributor shaft.
  5. Lift camshaft position sensor assembly from distributor housing Camshaft Position Sensor

INSTALLATION

1. Install camshaft position sensor to distributor. Align sensor into notch on distributor housing.
  2. Connect wiring harness.
  3. Install rotor.
  4. Install distributor cap. Tighten mounting screws.

graphic

i have the new body style 2000 jeep grand cherrokee limited 4.0 4x4 i went to change the camshaft postion sensor i ddint mark it and i took the hole shaft out with the sensor how do i get it back to time if i didnt mark it
i dont have a distributor i have the new body style jus the camshaft sensor and i have coil packs its a 4.0 i didnt mark the camshaft sensor i jus removed the whole shaft along with the sensor how do i get it timed if i dodnt mark before i took the shaft and camshaft sensor off ....

graphicI am sorry, I thought you said it was a 1999. Here is the procedure for a 2000 4.0 L

Chris

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 4.0L ENGINE

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.0L 6 - cylinder engine is bolted to the top of the oil pump drive shaft assembly CMP and Oil Pump Drive Shaft - 4.0L Engine The sensor and drive shaft assembly is located on the right side of the engine near the oil filter CMP Location - 4.0L Engine

The rotational position of oil pump drive determines fuel synchronization only. It does not determine ignition timing.

NOTE: Do not attempt to rotate the oil pump drive to modify ignition timing.

Two different procedures are needed for removal and installation. The first procedure will detail removal and installation of the sensor only. The second procedure will detail removal and installation of the sensor and oil pump drive shaft assembly. The second procedure is to be used if the engine has been disassembled.

An internal oil seal is used in the drive shaft housing that prevents engine oil at the bottom of the sensor. The seal is not serviceable

REMOVAL - SENSOR ONLY

1. Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor CMP Location - 4.0L Engine
  2. Remove 2 sensor mounting bolts CMP and Oil Pump Drive Shaft - 4.0L Engine or CMP Location - 4.0L Engine
  3. Remove sensor from oil pump drive.

INSTALLATION - SENSOR ONLY

1. Install sensor to oil pump drive.
  2. Install 2 sensor mounting bolts and tighten to 2 N·m (15 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Connect electrical connector to CMP sensor.

REMOVAL - OIL PUMP DRIVE AND SENSOR

If the CMP and oil pump drive are to be removed and installed, do not allow engine crankshaft or camshaft to rotate. CMP sensor relationship will be lost.

3. Remove sensor from oil pump drive.
  4. Before proceeding to next step, mark and note rotational position of oil pump drive in relationship to engine block. After installation, the CMP sensor should face rear of engine 0°.
  5. Remove hold-down bolt and clamp CMP Location - 4.0L Engine
  6. While pulling assembly from engine, note direction and position of pulse ring CMP and Oil Pump Drive Shaft - 4.0L Engine After removal, look down into top of oil pump and note direction and position of slot at top of oil pump gear.
  7. Remove and discard old oil pump drive-to-engine block gasket.

INSTALLATION - OIL PUMP DRIVE AND SENSOR

1. Clean oil pump drive mounting hole area of engine block.
  2. Install new oil pump drive-to-engine block gasket.
  3. Temporarily install a toothpick or similar tool through access hole at side of oil pump drive housing. Align toothpick into mating hole on pulse ring CMP Pulse Ring Alignment - 4.0L Engine
  4. Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Do not do a final tightening of bolt at this time.
  5. If engine crankshaft or camshaft has been rotated, such as during engine tear-down, CMP sensor relationship must be reestablished.
    1. Remove ignition coil rail assembly. Refer to Ignition Coil Removal/Installation.
    2. Remove cylinder number 1 spark plug.
    3. Hold a finger over the open spark plug hole. Rotate engine at vibration dampener bolt until compression (pressure) is felt.
    4. Slowly continue to rotate engine. Do this until timing index mark on vibration damper pulley aligns with top dead center (TDC) mark (0 degree) on timing degree scale Align Timing Marks - 4.0L Engine Always rotate engine in direction of normal rotation. Do not rotate engine backward to align timing marks.
    5. Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump. If pump drive will not drop down flush to engine block, the oil pump slot is not aligned. Remove oil pump drive and align slot in oil pump to shaft at bottom of drive. Install into engine. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Do not do a final tightening of bolt at this time.
    6. Remove toothpick from housing.
  6. Install sensor to oil pump drive. After installation, the CMP sensor should face rear of engine 0°.
  7. Install 2 sensor mounting bolts and tighten to 2 N·m (15 in. lbs.) torque.
  8. Connect electrical connector to CMP sensor.
  9. If removed, install spark plug and ignition coil rail.

To verify correct rotational position of oil pump drive, the DRB scan tool must be used.

WARNING: WHEN PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING TEST, THE ENGINE WILL BE RUNNING. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STAND IN LINE WITH THE FAN BLADES OR FAN BELT. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.

1. Connect DRB scan tool to data link connector. The data link connector is located in passenger compartment, below and to left of steering column.
  2. Gain access to SET SYNC screen on DRB.
  3. Follow directions on DRB screen and start engine. Bring to operating temperature (engine must be in "closed loop" mode)
  4. With engine running at idle speed, the words IN RANGE should appear on screen along with 0°. This indicates correct position of oil pump drive.
  5. If a plus (+) or a minus (-) is displayed next to degree number, and/or the degree displayed is not zero, loosen but do not remove hold-down clamp bolt. Rotate oil pump drive until IN RANGE appears on screen. Continue to rotate oil pump drive until achieving as close to 0° as possible.

The degree scale on SET SYNC screen of DRB is referring to fuel synchronization only. It is not referring to ignition timing. Because of this, do not attempt to adjust ignition timing using this method. Rotating oil pump drive will have no effect on ignition timing. All ignition timing values are controlled by powertrain control module (PCM)

1. Tighten hold-down clamp bolt to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.) torque

graphic

Hello again, Just checking back to see if the information I sent was helpful. If it was would you please click on the accept button? If you still need help please let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman