Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.
12104952

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland: My Heater fan motor..cold weather

Ok I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. My Heater fan motor does not work in cold weather. It stopped working last year in the Winter and when I went to Florida it started working again. This winter it stopped following some cold nights.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to JA Jeep my name is Mark.

Do you have automatic temperature control or the manual heater a/c system?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Automatic temperature control

The fan doesn't work in auto or in manual the temperature control allows the car to have hot air by driving. I thought that it might be a temperature control damper that closes or opens based upon outside temps

Expert:  Mark replied 8 years ago.

Good thanks.

Models equipped with the optional Automatic Zone Control (AZC) system have a blower motor controller. The controller allows the selection of almost infinitely variable blower motor speeds. The controller is mounted to the HVAC housing, under the instrument panel and just inboard of the blower motor, in the same location used for the blower motor resistor on manual temperature control systems. It can be accessed without removing any other components.

Checking under the dash and having a look at the wire connector to this controller may show some overheated connections.

A new blower motor controller is your most likely cause and a new connector if there are any signs of overheating.