Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Where is the thermostat on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 cylinder

Customer Question
4.0 engine?...
Where is the thermostat on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 cylinder 4.0 engine?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Jeep
9/6/2008
Jeep Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 9 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

It is located at top front center of engine:

graphic

• Remove radiator upper hose and heater hose at thermostat housing.
  • Disconnect wiring connector at engine coolant temperature sensor.
  • Remove thermostat housing mounting bolts, thermostat housing, gasket and thermostat. Discard old gasket.
  • Clean the gasket mating surfaces.
  • To install:

1. Install the replacement thermostat so that the pellet, which is encircled by a coil spring, faces the engine. All thermostats are marked on the outer flange to indicate the proper installed position.
    2. Observe the recess groove in the engine cylinder head.
    3. Position thermostat into this groove with arrow and air bleed hole on outer flange pointing up.
    4. Install replacement gasket and thermostat housing.
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager