Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Where is the turn signal flasher for a 2002 grand cherokee limited?

9/1/2008
Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman

Hello

The combination flasher is located in the Junction Block The JB is located underneath the driver side of the instrument panel outboard of the steering column. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

The combination flasher has nine blade-type terminals that connect it to the vehicle electrical system.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment.The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

• Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  • Pull down on the rear edge (nearest the rear of the vehicle) of the instrument panel fuse cover until the rear latches unsnap from the tabs on the lower junction block housing and the side latch unsnaps from the tab on the instrument panel steering column support bracket outboard of the 16-way data link connector
  • Move the instrument panel fuse cover towards the front of the vehicle to disengage the front latches from the mounting slots in the lower housing of the body control module.
  • Remove the fuse cover from under the instrument panel.
  • Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel.
  • Remove the one screw that secures the outboard end of the steering column opening cover to the U-nut on the outboard end of the instrument panel top pad
  • Remove the two screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column opening cover to the U-nuts on the instrument panel steering column support bracket.
  • Pull the steering column opening cover rearward to disengage the three snap clips (one outboard and two inboard) that secure it to the receptacles in the instrument panel.
  • Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
  • Remove the combination flasher from the Junction Block
  •  

I hope that this helps

If you need more information or help just let me know

Thank you

Donny

Donny
    Donny, Shop Foreman
    So the "junction block" is that whole assembly just above where all the fuses are? And the flasher is in it, correct?

Hello

Yes the junction box is the whole assembly that has the interior fuses in it and above the fuses are some relays and the combo flasher and some large bolt in wiring connector's

The combo flasher unit looks like a relay, but it is twice as long as a normal relay

Donny

Is that a dealer item or will most parts stores have that?

Hi

I have seen some part stores that carry them, if you get one from a parts store be sure and match it up to the old one before installing it

I have had to repair some Junction block and wiring concerns due to the wrong one being forced into the socket

The dealer part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it has a suggested list price of $46.15

Donny

Thank You

Hi

You are very welcome

Donny

Donny
    Donny
    Donny, Shop Foreman