How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sean Medling Your Own Question
Sean Medling
Sean Medling, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Jeep
Satisfied Customers: 64
Experience:  5 years Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep experience. Chrysler Certified Specialist - Engine Performance
Type Your Jeep Question Here...
Sean Medling is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you adjust intake and exhaust valves on 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Customer Question

Loose rocker arms on my jeep causing noise or clicking sound from
#3 (?)cylinder.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Sean Medling replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer thank you for choosing Just Answer.


The lash adjuster on these engines is hydraulic and is self adjusting.


The problem with your vehicle is probably the camshaft and tappet. I have seen many 4.0L engines with worn camshaft lobes and concaved tappets. An easy way to check for worn cam lobes is with the valve cover off, run the engine at idle. Place rags around the cylinder head to reduce oil spillage. Hold the end of a screwdriver or equivalent on top of the suspected rocker arm and other known good rocker arms and feel the movement. The rocker with a worn cam lobe will not "kick" as hard as a good cam lobe.


The only repair for this issue is to replace the camshaft and damaged tappets.


Let me know if I can assist you anymore.




Sean Medling

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Describe the tappets for me.
Expert:  Sean Medling replied 8 years ago.

Tappets are also called lifters or lash adjusters. The cam shaft lobe pushes on the tappet which pushes the pushrod up, moving the rocker arm which opens the valve. The tappets are constantly fed engine oil to adjust the slack in the valvetrain and also to lubricat the push rod at the rocker arm. The tappets look like big AA batteries and the cylinder head must be removed in order to replace them.


Sean Medling and 5 other Jeep Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a way to assure that we can request you in the future for questions regarding my Jeep?
Expert:  Sean Medling replied 8 years ago.

Yes I think there is an option where you can request an expert. I have not checked out the customer end of this site so I am not sure. Another thing you can do is request me in the title of your question, "I would like Sean to answer this if possible". I have seen posts like that before.


Thank you for your interest.