Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2001 jeep grand cherokee: hazard lights..hazard relay..bulbs and wires

my 2001 jeep grand cherokee...
my 2001 jeep grand cherokee has no hazard lights or turn signals, no indicator lights light up on the inside no blinking on outside, i have replaced turn signal/hazard relay, costly at 57.00, and still did not fix problem i have checked bulbs and wires, nowhere to turn any suggestions. jeff
7/30/2008
dr3dee
dr3dee, Jeep Answer Team
Hi, Doc here, Car expert. You'll need to replace the multi-function switch. Easy as Iit gets to replace.graphic
dr3dee
dr3dee, Jeep Answer Team
is there a way to test to make sure?
Do you have a multimeter? If so, have at it. If not? All I can do is give you 30 years of experience.graphic
its a good thing I didnt go buy the $125 switch. i have an ohmeter and i have checked the continuity and resistence between the 11 pins on the switch according to manual and there seems to be no problem with the switch got any more ideas.
What manual? Did you use the wiring diagram supplied?
yes and the one i have which shows you what pins are what and which ones to check continuity and resistence. if I had a way to show you i would i guess you will have to take my word for it. example, left turn signal on hazard off pins 2 and 8 should have continuity, right turn on hazard off 2 and 7 should have continuity, neutral position hazard on pins 2 and 9 should have continuity which they do. want me to tell you the resistence levels, example switch off resistence between pins 4 and 11 should be btween 3743 and 3824. believe me I checked I am not going to buy anymore expensive parts till i get the right answer.
i am not doubting your expertise just wanting to make sure we address the right problem. if i am getting continuity on the pins could the multipurpose switch still be bad
Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman

Hello

I will try to help you with this if you would like

Lets start at the beginning, in the junction block ( fuse box) with a test light or volt meter check fuse number 4 a 15 amp fuse and fuse number 20 a 10 amp, to be sure that the fuses are good and that they both have a 12 volt feed to them and are allowing that feed to pass through them

Fuse 4 should be battery voltage at all times and fuse 20 is battery voltage key in the run position

Let me know how you make out with this and we will move on as needed

Thank you

Donny

FOUND A BAD FUSE. DIDN'T LOOK BAD BUT IT WAS. THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND WORKING ME THROUGH THIS.

Hello

You are welcome, at least it is repaired

I hope dr3dee appreciates the help and the accept

Donny

Great it's fixed, and thanks to Donny for his support.
dr3dee
dr3dee
dr3dee, Jeep Answer Team