Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified auto and truck technician 15 years experience domestic and foreign
9857227

Symptoms of bad flywheel on automatic transmission.

Customer Question

How can I tell if my flywheel (flexplate) is going bad? I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (automatic transmission). I have a rumbling/rattling noise and shifting gears is rough.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 years ago.

Bad flex plates will cause vibration and generally make a lot of noise...due to cracks...it will not have an impact on the shifting of gears...a flexplate is merely a physical link from the engine to the transmissions torque converter...it either connects them together of is broken and does not...if in the process of breaking it will make a lot of noise alarming you to its condition. Let me know if you need any further assistance

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
all signs point to the transmission? Fluid level was ok in that but there is a slight "sulphur burning" smell (like after you've put out a match...
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 years ago.
from what you describe it is possible to assume you have a mechanical failure in the transmission...although without being able to actually inspect it myself i cannot confirm it , but from your explaination i would recommend you go to a transmission shop and take a test drive with the mechanic and point out the exact problem you are refering to - good luck