Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2004 Jeep Liberty: bulbs..ok and the third brake light works…

The brake lights on my...
The brake lights on my 2004 Jeep Liberty do not work. The bulbs and fuse are ok and the third brake light works. Any suggestions on locating the problem?
5/6/2008
Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman

Hello

Does your Jeep have a trailer hitch and wiring? If it does was it factory installed or installed by the dealer?

Which engine and transmission are in your Jeep?

Do the turn signals and the four way flashers work correctly, in the front and in the rear?

Thank you

Donny

I do not have a trailer hitch or wiring. I believe it is a 3.4 Litre and has an automatic transmission with part timeXXXXX All other lights work both front and rear. I tested the leads on the rear brake light assembly and there is no power when the brake pedal is depressed. All fuses tested ok.

Hello

I see you say all the lights work except the brake lights, does this included the license plate light?

Trying to determine where to start looking

Have you had any recent work on the Jeep?

Have you noticed any other electrical issues, like the flipper glass not opening when you pull the rear handle?

Donny

Hello

In the right rear 1/4 panel there is a gray connector this is the intermediate connector after the third brake light and before the tail/brake lamps it is c310, before I tell you to take the whole back of the jeep apart you may want to test the brake lamp switch first as it has three sets of contacts inside of it

• Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

CAUTION: Do not remove the brake lamp switch from the mounting bracket. The self-adjusting switch plunger is a one time only feature. If the switch is removed from the mounting bracket, it MUST be replaced with a new switch.

• Disconnect the wire harness connector from the brake lamp switch.
  • Using an ohmmeter, perform the continuity tests at the terminal pins in the brake lamp switch connector receptacle as shown in the Brake Lamp Switch Tests table.
  • 1 - TERMINAL PINS
    2 - PLUNGER TEST POSITIONS

BRAKE LAMP SWITCH TESTS
    PLUNGER POSITION CONTINUITY BETWEEN
    Released (Extended) Pins 1 & 2
    Compressed (Depressed) Pins 3 & 4, 5 & 6

• If the switch fails any of the continuity tests, replace the faulty brake lamp switch as required.
  • Let me know how you make out with this and if needed we can move onto tracing the wiring down

Thank you

Donny

Donny
    Donny, Shop Foreman
    Donny-

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it tonight and hopefully I won't have to do major surgery. I thought about checking the switch, but since the 3rd brake light worked, I assumed it was ok.

Tom

Hi

It may not be the switch but with 3 sets of contacts in the switch it would be better to start here then strip out the interior

Let me know how you make out if you need to I can help you chase out the wiring

Donny

It worked!

Hi

Glad to hear that it is repaired

Have a good day

thank you

Donny

Donny
    Donny
    Donny, Shop Foreman