Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2016 Range Rover Sport supercharged and it is

I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Range Rover Sport supercharged and it is currently stuck in a parking garage. The attendant turned the parking break on and it won’t turn off now

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has the vehicle been stuck in park? Have you tried shifting to "Drive" while pressing the brake?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2016 Range Rover Sport?

58,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Jaguar Range Rover Sport Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer for only $34 (fully-refundable). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Range Rover Sport Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.

12/10/2021
Jaguar Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Can you start the engine and will it idle now? And are you getting any warning messages when you try to release the parking brake? Thank you.

we can start the engine and no warningWe have tried everything. Turned it off for 10 minutes restarted car tried to release it

Alright, try this, Turn the ignition on, but engine off, then pull the Emergency brake switch UP, Then push the gas pedal all the way down at the same time, then power the ignition off, then power the ignition back on, that should put it in maintenance mode and release the rear parking brake motors on the rear calipers.

Ok we will tryno engine

Yes, that is correct, leave the engine off, and only the ignition on.

If that doesn't work, then unfortunately, you'll have to get a mobile tech out where it is to bring a scan tool to get the rear calipers in maintenance mode, to release the electronic parking brake.

Any luck with that? Thank you!

No it didn't workmy husband called a mechanic here that said they would have to cut the break cables

Alright, I'm really sorry your having to deal with it. There are motors on the calipers on this model, there are no emergency brake cables. It's all electric. I believe that mechanic is speaking of traditional pull handle or push pedal type parking brake systems.

Ok so a scan toolNo cutting

Yes, don't cut anything, a scan tool maybe used to put the brake system in maintenance mode. Tell your mobile tech this is a push button parking brake system, If he has the tool to get it unlocked, then I would try that, but if not, I would recommend getting a tow truck driver out there for him to get it out . you may have to raise the rear and put it on some dollys, then you can drive it, I've seen that done before in this situation. Thank you and let us know if you have any further questions.

Ok thank you so much. How could we drive the car though

You cannot drive it unfortunately with the parking brake stuck on. It has to released first or towed I'm afraid. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you could possibly cause more damage attempting to drive it with the brake stuck on. Thank you.

Right I thought so. I didn't understand the whole raise the rear on follies

Alright, sometimes a tow truck driver will raise the rear end and put it on dollies to be able to move it that way instead of dragging it in other words, But they may have a scan tool to get it in maintenanace mode as well, also, disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes may clear the code and help, But I'm not positive that it will.

Ok thanks so
Much

Absolutely, Thank you and best of luck with it!

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician