Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

The knob on the gear shift is stuck so I cannot move from…

Customer Question
The knob on the...

The knob on the gear shift is stuck so I cannot move from park to D

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had trouble shifting? How old is the transmission?

2016

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the model of your 2016 Jaguar?

Its a Range Rover sport SVR

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Jaguar Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

That’s it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Jaguar
10/8/2021
Jaguar Mechanic: Chase Sloan,
 replied 11 months ago
Chase Sloan

Howdy from Texas! I'm Chase and I will do my best to assist you here! Does the shifter knob button feel normal when pressing it in before trying to shift from park to drive?

The shifter knob is stuck. Cannot press it in
Jaguar Mechanic: Chase Sloan,
 replied 11 months ago

Ok give me one moment let me see if I can find more information on this shifter knob sensor. It SOUNDS like the sensor release switch is faulted. Stay tuned! I will be right back!

Ok
Jaguar Mechanic: Chase Sloan,
 replied 11 months ago

Were you attempting to fix this yourself by chance?

No not at all. My son is driving if and he happened while at a traffic light. He is waiting on a tow truck
Jaguar Mechanic: Chase Sloan,
 replied 11 months ago

Ok, so it's not a MAJOR issue. If the shift button will not press in at all, or presses but has zero response then the shift button is broken. Not a major ordeal. Inconvenient for sure, and I do hate this has happened to you. This is pretty common on these models of SVR Sports. At least when it's taken to the shop you will have some information to go off of where you are not in the dark as to what the issue is.

Ok. Thanks for the help
Jaguar Mechanic: Chase Sloan,
 replied 11 months ago

So it's one of two things. If the button will not press when the brake is applied to shift from the park position it is either the park release sensor (again, not a major ordeal) or the button on the shifter is broken.

Jaguar Mechanic: Chase Sloan,
 replied 11 months ago

You're most welcome!!! Thank you for using JustAnswer!!!  Glad I could help! :)